There's nothing I can't find under there.
Voices in the trees, the missing pages
of the sea.
Everything but sleep.
And night is a river bridging
the speaking and listening banks,
a fortress, undefended and inviolate.
There's nothing that won't fit under it:
fountains clogged with mud and leaves,
the houses of my childhood.
And night begins when my mother's fingers
let go of the thread
they've been tying and untying
to touch toward our fraying story's hem.
Night is the shadow of my father's hands
setting the clock for resurrection.
Or is it the clock unraveled, the numbers flown?
Ther's nothing that hasn't found home there:
discarded wings, lost shoes, a broken alphabet.
Everything but sleep. And night begins
with the first beheading
of the jasmine, its captive fragrance
rid at last of burial clothes.
Li-Young Lee's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Pillow by Li-Young Lee )
Did you read them?
- For every smile thus there the stars of .., Raymond Sawyer
- he Gift, david kush
- I'm always like this, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Soar Where Those Poor Of Faith Reside, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- He told the officers, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- To touch a star is to be ouch with respe.., Raymond Sawyer
- Her enchanted delight, Amgad Samy
- my glasses, Bull Hawking
- 64 and deaf, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- For every star that one see is the star .., Raymond Sawyer
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- It Is the Hour, George Gordon Byron
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- November, Thomas Hood
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 February 1898 – 14 August 1956)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(1 February 1927)