SOME have won a wild delight,
By daring wilder sorrow;
Could I gain thy love to-night,
I'd hazard death to-morrow.
Could the battle-struggle earn
One kind glance from thine eye,
How this withering heart would burn,
The heady fight to try !
Welcome nights of broken sleep,
And days of carnage cold,
Could I deem that thou wouldst weep
To hear my perils told.
Tell me, if with wandering bands
I roam full far away,
Wilt thou, to those distant lands,
In spirit ever stray ?
Wild, long, a trumpet sounds afar;
Bid mebid me go
Where Seik and Briton meet in war,
On Indian Sutlej's flow.
Blood has dyed the Sutlej's waves
With scarlet stain, I know;
Indus' borders yawn with graves,
Yet, command me go !
Though rank and high the holocaust
Of nations, steams to heaven,
Glad I'd join the death-doomed host,
Were but the mandate given.
Passion's strength should nerve my arm,
Its ardour stir my life,
Till human force to that dread charm
Should yield and sink in wild alarm,
Like trees to tempest-strife.
If, hot from war, I seek thy love,
Darest thou turn aside ?
Darest thou, then, my fire reprove,
By scorn, and maddening pride ?
Nomy will shall yet control
Thy will, so high and free,
And love shall tame that haughty soul
Yestenderest love for me.
I'll read my triumph in thine eyes,
Behold, and prove the change;
Then leave, perchance, my noble prize,
Once more in arms to range.
I'd die when all the foam is up,
The bright wine sparkling high;
Nor wait till in the exhausted cup
Life's dull dregs only lie.
Then Love thus crowned with sweet reward,
Hope blest with fulness large,
I'd mount the saddle, draw the sword,
And perish in the charge !
Charlotte Brontë's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Passion by Charlotte Brontë )
- Life's Lived Long Lessons, Katherine Nordhaus
- Nigah-e-naaz (Hindi), Rajnish Manga
- चाँद रात में सैर, Rajnish Manga
- Passages of Time, Phil Soar
- Listening To Music, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- You Are, Phil Soar
- Racing In A Yellow Cab, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Today, SALINI NAIR
- A Deep Knowing Inside, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- People Are Crazy, Phil Soar
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Flower of Love, Oscar Wilde
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- alaska airlines, rwetewrt erwtwer
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)