Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
One Must Be Careful
When the emptiness of time steals in...
Perhaps you've been sitting too long, doing nothing,
Except parading back through streets of dreams.
Dreams that did not come true, or were ignored.
Because bigger dreams would be answered if you just wished or prayed long and hard enough.
One must be careful, knocking on doors
Of the past, that cannot be opened for/to any
Best move on traveling the roads of today.
You might stumble, but so what...hills are there
To trudge up with all your strength, being sure not to look back.
The gardens of yesterday are beautiful in books of treasured memories.
We forget the work it took to make it so.
One must be careful, living too long in the past,
Allowing someone else to steal the possibility away
Of the promised happiness of today.
One must be careful, steadfast.
Watch the little creatures of nature, worth having,
Is worth stretching for, always looking ahead!
Dorothy Alves Holmes
A Poet Who Loves To Sing
Published February 08,2013
Dorothy (Alves) Holmes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (One Must Be Careful by Dorothy (Alves) Holmes )
- Unrest Soul: Dark minds, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- me &the dragon, gordon nosworthy
- A Free Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Dissolved, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Go boothward young doves, moez meftah
- To Someone Special On Poemhunter, Electric Lady
- Thank You: from a dear friend, Almedia Knight Oliver
- Memories, anthony john cerrito, sr.
- The Sea, Somasekar Sivaprakash
- Gods Revenge, Tango Tango
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Fern Hill, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)