Alan Bruce Thompson
Imagine an Olympic Games where the purpose is to lose,
To be last or second last is your possibility to choose.
Remember that “the last shall be first and the first shall be last”,
So the ambitious will be penalised if they run very fast.
We encourage running backwards and holding the javelin in the air,
We reward the pacemakers for stopping and giving aid and care.
We regard gentlemanly activities, and honour ladies too,
And without steroids and doping scandals, first will be very few.
Civilised behaviour wins all, and the winner wins wood,
The uncivilised ambitious firsts receive metal as they should.
Instead of gold, silver and bronze, we have olive, oak and pine
Winners of two wooden olives certainly must resign.
So for the anti-ambitious we have the Anti-olympic game
Where the losers are rewarded, and their shame becomes fame.
Alan Bruce Thompson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Olympic Wood by Alan Bruce Thompson )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- 154. The Path Of Life, John Westlake
- OUR FALLEN LEAVES اوراقنا المتساقطة, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Language, Our Friend, Sandra Feldman
- there's a pretty plum sky and then there.., Mandolyn ...
- Revealed, John Onyeme
- Groom is the Cadaver, Pintu Mahakul
- Sleep deprived, Matthew Holloway
- More Than Just Memories, David Whalen
- Legacy, Matthew Holloway
- EVERY ACTION HAS ITS REACTION لكل فعل رد.., MOHAMMAD SKATI