Lawrence S. Pertillar
No Escape Routes
It was not easy to find my own place,
As I carved my own path...
With a facing of challenging obstacles to erase.
And no escape routes through which to exit.
My lips had been sealed from making complaints.
Any anguish inflicted I learned to keep concealed.
This has been my accepted reality.
It was not for me easy to hear,
The jeering done to overcome.
And to do it with the feeling of fear.
As nightmares taunted me with a doing done.
But a faith kept me unshakened.
Even as I witness,
The safety of close relationships disappear.
A safety I endeared with a keeping them near.
Yet protected I felt with an approval of my journey.
A journey I chose to complete.
Regardless of what it took to succeed.
Acknowledging my efforts somehow were kept blessed...
If I did not accept defeat.
To know one day,
I will experience victory...
With others who managed to rid themselves of doubt.
'We were watching you.'
'You had to feel us cheering you on.
From midnight until each dawn...
We were watching you!
But you believed us to be nightmares.'
And we are still there.
Even though you had not been aware.
We too had to rid ourselves of doubt.'
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (No Escape Routes by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- one hundred and twenty two miles, days, .., Mandolyn ...
- Comet, Naveed Khalid
- Jumbled Sewing Basket, Green And White W.., mary douglas
- Hospitality (Section 9 of Thirukural), rajendran muthiah
- Crushed, Gergana Teofilova
- Not a big deal, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Affinity with truth for all times, gajanan mishra
- Affinity with truth, gajanan mishra
- To the dodo, Hrishikesh Bharadwaj
- what are you for me, Lalit Kaira