Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
My mother was fortune, my father generosity and bounty
My mother was fortune, my father generosity and bounty; I
am joy, son of joy, son of joy, son of joy.
Behold, the Marquis of Glee has attainted felicity; this city and
plain are filled with soldiers and drums and flags.
If I encounter a wolf, he becomes moonfaced Joseph; if I go
down into a well, it converts into a Garden of Eram.
He whose heart is as iron and stone out of miserliness is now
changed before me into a Hatem of the age in generosity and
Dust becomes gold and pure silver in my hand; how then
should the temptation of gold and silver waylay me?
I have an idol such that, were his sweet scent scattered
abroad, even an idol of stone would receive life through joy.
Sorrow has died for joy in him of “may God bind your consolation”;
how should not such a sword strike the neck of sorrow?
By tyranny he seizes the soul of whom he desires; justices are
all slaves of such injustice and tyranny.
What is that mole on that face? Should it manifest itself, out
of desire for it forthwith maternal aunt would be estranged from
I said, “If I am done and send my story, will you finish it and
expound it?” He answered, “Yes.”
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (My mother was fortune, my father generosity and bounty by Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- I'm Not The Folktune Said The Princess, mary douglas
- Red Velveteen Wouldn't The Rosebuds Wish.., mary douglas
- The Muse In Flight Before The Approachin.., mary douglas
- Etched In The Stone The Weeping Fern Sur.., mary douglas
- Neutralize your last final words, Mark Heathcote
- Her Voice, Kristopher DeLander
- Blue Words Were Spoken From A Golden Book, mary douglas
- Essay of Self, Simon Quperlier
- I Was Wearing A Dress Of Impeachable Hue, mary douglas
- Dull by nature, gajanan mishra