I cried today
on Mother's day
I've been wanting to cry for a long time
I've been wanting to cry for about a year now
Mascara and eyeliner running down my cheek
And three pairs of brown eyes looking at me
'What is it, mom? '
'You didn't like the breakfast we prepared for you? '
'Why are you crying, mom? '
What do I tell them?
That I've been trusting once again
and got hurt yet one more time?
That I gave my soul to someone
and he didn't treat it as I hoped he would?
That I'm losing my hope in people?
Or, that I'm crying 'cause their pure love touched me?
'Cause I realize that paradise is right there in front of me
and I've been looking for it elsewhere?
'Cause I realize that they're the only ones capable
of loving me unconditionally, no matter what I do or say?
- I'm crying 'cause you're all I have in this world, I said
as my son was handing me a love coupon
promising me a hug whenever I needed it
- I'm crying 'cause you make me feel complete, I said
as my little one was handing me her drawing
- I'm crying 'cause I love you more than life itself, I said
and my eldest son gave me a card apologizing for backtalking
- I'm crying 'cause you're giving me strength to face this ugly world, I said
And I cried some more cleansing tears.
Closed my eyes and tried to take it all in
Wanted this moment to last a lifetime.
Written on Mother's Day (May 13,2007)
CeCe Lamberts's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Mother's Day by CeCe Lamberts )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- SYNC 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- First meeting, Kristopher DeLander
- Hope, Kristopher DeLander
- Silence Is A Beauty To Endure, Monk E. Biz
- Home, Kindred velarde
- Why? Why? Why?, Praghyanjali Pal
- I Cannot At Will Summon The Tone Of Beauty, Shalom Freedman
- O, God, Neela Nath
- The Seed of Greatness, Silas Egbowon
- Metamorphosis, Musfiq us shaleheen