Marriage is not a mockery.
Man and woman fell in love to commit,
Married to commit and begot to commit.
They were together throughout to commit.
The other one remained as a widow
Or a widower, again to commit.
The commitment was the purpose of life.
With escapism in mind don’t enter
Into marriage and make a mockery of it.
Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.'s Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Marriage is not a mockery. by Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar. )
- Sinners الاثمون, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Touch-me-not, Naveed Khalid
- The Sword and the Plowshare, John F. McCullagh
- On the road a Recovery Poem, jeff newnham
- Sinners, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- An Image Of An Old House, Yohan Confectioner
- Autumn Equinox, Jacqueline Nash
- Portrait, Md. Mujib Ullah
- Childhood Never Returns, Md. Mujib Ullah
- I Am A Happy Old Man, Shalom Freedman
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(3 March 1878 - 9 April 1917)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)