How do you teach someone to love?
They sit before you: "I don't feel the way you do".
"Of course not" you say…"you have to learn to love…
You knew it as a child and lost it like a toy, broken.
It's in you hiding behind pain, spite, bitterness.
Move out from the shadows slowly
Placing one foot in the sand and then another.
Do not expect him to be perfect
And you'll reach the shore.
Place one foot in the water, then another.
Let it hold you like a wave,
Do not expect perfection
Letting the water embrace you slowly
Look up into his eyes and see he loves you."
Robert Leary's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Love Lessons by Robert Leary )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Francine, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta
- The face of a young woman in pink, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta
- Segundas/Sobre reudas, Cyndi K. Encinares Gacosta
- Snail Talk for Rosemary, Daniel Brick
- Dear Greg, Roxanne Dubarry
- Rosy flower, hasmukh amathalal
- Ideas, gajanan mishra
- Clad in Stars, Steven Rhoads
- No Chances, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- We Can Build, Naveed Akram