Farīd ud-Dīn Attar Abū Hamīd bin Abū Bakr Ibrāhīm
Looking for your own face
Your face is neither infinite nor ephemeral.
You can never see your own face,
only a reflection, not the face itself.
So you sigh in front of mirrors
and cloud the surface.
It's better to keep your breath cold.
Hold it, like a diver does in the ocean.
One slight movement, the mirror-image goes.
Don't be dead or asleep or awake.
Don't be anything.
What you most want,
what you travel around wishing to find,
lose yourself as lovers lose themselves,
and you'll be that.
Farīd ud-Dīn Attar Abū Hamīd bin Abū Bakr Ibrāhī's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Looking for your own face by Farīd ud-Dīn Attar Abū Hamīd bin Abū Bakr Ibrāhīm )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 January 1887 – 20 January 1962)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
William Ernest Henley
(1849 - 1902)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Behind Closed Doors Once Again, Electric Lady
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- SAINTS AND SINNERS, Changu Chilwesa
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
Poem of the Day
- Spring Rhyme, Luo Zhihai
- Sweet Lady, Michael P. McParland
- Sweet Goodnight, Michael P. McParland
- Sweet Dreams Sweet Love, Michael P. McParland
- Sweet Dreams My Lady Fair, Michael P. McParland
- The Urinal, Doyen Lingua
- Striking Beauty, Michael P. McParland
- Staying Power, Michael P. McParland
- Stars Of Love (Dreaming Of You), Michael P. McParland
- Splendid, Michael P. McParland