With great surprise O king of Letcombe Brook
I find you fishing here in Wantage town.
A flash of blue and copper - let me look -
Iridescent green and arrowing down
Into bright bubbling waters, cool and clear,
Which amble down towards the Wessex Mill.
It brings such heartfelt joy to find you here;
Those regal hues bring light to this dark rill
Upon this cold and grey December day.
It was by chance along this route I came;
The local bard himself oft walked this way,
Close by the park which now recalls his name.
Perhaps he also glimpsed the darting blue,
Although no sonnet made, as now I do.
William Messent's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Kingfisher by William Messent )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- And Were You Dreaming In The Licorice Ni.., mary douglas
- Por-por Chha Gaya.........., Upendra Singh
- It Is Beautiful To Act Like A Sattagerin.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Minimalism, Adonis Enricuso
- Treasure Box, Adonis Enricuso
- Palestine; We Let You Down, Guess Who
- Por-por Chha Gaya Basant, Upendra Singh
- The love song, binod bastola
- de tijd, ko the skipper
- A big thanks poem..., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL