With great surprise O king of Letcombe Brook
I find you fishing here in Wantage town.
A flash of blue and copper - let me look -
Iridescent green and arrowing down
Into bright bubbling waters, cool and clear,
Which amble down towards the Wessex Mill.
It brings such heartfelt joy to find you here;
Those regal hues bring light to this dark rill
Upon this cold and grey December day.
It was by chance along this route I came;
The local bard himself oft walked this way,
Close by the park which now recalls his name.
Perhaps he also glimpsed the darting blue,
Although no sonnet made, as now I do.
William Messent's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Kingfisher by William Messent )
- Forget Forgive Focus Follow and have Fai.., Dimitri Jagodinski
- I Wrote Too Much, Shalom Freedman
- If You are Sad, Turn the Pages, Hebert Logerie
- Time Flies, Tony Adah
- The Troika's Gone, sasha yarlexolnikov
- I Am as Dull as Everyday, Sara Fielder
- Vendémiaire Wednesdays, sasha yarlexolnikov
- Incandescent Drapes, sasha yarlexolnikov
- Stronghold: Macchu Picchu, Brandt Nightingale
- Friends, sasha yarlexolnikov