With great surprise O king of Letcombe Brook
I find you fishing here in Wantage town.
A flash of blue and copper - let me look -
Iridescent green and arrowing down
Into bright bubbling waters, cool and clear,
Which amble down towards the Wessex Mill.
It brings such heartfelt joy to find you here;
Those regal hues bring light to this dark rill
Upon this cold and grey December day.
It was by chance along this route I came;
The local bard himself oft walked this way,
Close by the park which now recalls his name.
Perhaps he also glimpsed the darting blue,
Although no sonnet made, as now I do.
William Messent's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Kingfisher by William Messent )
- The Grave, Sir Toby
- Earthbound poet, Yor Nella
- Poetry, NEDRA WILSON
- Teacher Yaser Nadeem Sari الاستاذ ياسر ن.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Teacher Yaser Nadeem Sari, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- How Are You Hittin' It?, Joe Hughes visit joehughes.o ..
- The Forsaken Tradition, ALEX OGOH
- The different images in life, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- India To Vow, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- A Touch of Fall, Rhonda Trull
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Lilly Emery