With great surprise O king of Letcombe Brook
I find you fishing here in Wantage town.
A flash of blue and copper - let me look -
Iridescent green and arrowing down
Into bright bubbling waters, cool and clear,
Which amble down towards the Wessex Mill.
It brings such heartfelt joy to find you here;
Those regal hues bring light to this dark rill
Upon this cold and grey December day.
It was by chance along this route I came;
The local bard himself oft walked this way,
Close by the park which now recalls his name.
Perhaps he also glimpsed the darting blue,
Although no sonnet made, as now I do.
William Messent's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Kingfisher by William Messent )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- My Autumn Leaves, Bruce Weigl
- 'REGRETS', meravel llasos
- FRAU OHNE FREIHEIT FUR GEWISSEN, alexander opicho
- Killing Chickens, Bruce Weigl
- My Little Idol, Tosin Abegunde
- Her Life Runs Like a Red Silk Flag, Bruce Weigl
- A Ride To Forever, Faraj Nyandiko
- Elegy for Peter, Bruce Weigl
- parental guidance unfin, lee fones
- Missing of the Birds, Michael Lee Johnson