Hear the song of humpback whales
Gathering in Hawaiian waters,
Gathering for Cetacean opera,
Male exclusive grand recital;
On the brink of epic journey
To Alaska's icy waters.
Off the West coast of Alaska
Shoals of herring feed off plankton.
Humpbacks fresh from far Hawaii
Gather at their leader's signal.
Thus begins the "A-team's" mission,
Brilliant modus operandi.
Giants of the Arctic ocean,
Diving ever deeper, deeper.
Round and round the bubbles spiral
To the surface of the ocean.
Net of bubbles in a circle
Traps the shoal of startled herring.
Mouths a-gaping, rise together,
Burst the surface, prey engulfing.
What a maelstrom - whales and herring;
Seagulls join the feeding frenzy,
Till, at last, all satiated,
Calm returns to freezing waters.
William Messent's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Humpback by William Messent )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1644 - 1694)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- On Turning Ten, Billy Collins
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- Whispers from Shadow, Adeosun Olamide
- Narcotic 1/26, Kewayne Wadley
- Dark And Deep, Is It Poetry
- A Friend Once Met...., Abekah Emmanuel
- I Hold To Hope, Michael P. McParland
- If only I could touch the hem of His gar.., Royston Allen
- World Cup, Donal Mahoney
- On Letters and Words, Vincent Barrowcliffe
- Irreverently Relevant, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Donation of Blood, Kumarmani Mahakul