Was a duck, porcupine (to grammar I bow not)
Became Duckupine, but how I know not.
Stork tells turtle, "Indeed it's a delight-
Our Stortle shape is exactly right! "
Parrot-Head Lizard feels decidedly silly:
Must he spurn all bugs for a raw green chili?
The goat now hatches a plan to wed-
Mounts scorpion's neck-body unites with head!
The giraffe's reluctant to wander nearby
With his grasshopper wings, he longs to fly.
Says the cow, "What disease has entered the pen
That my rear belongs to a rascally hen? "
Observe the Whalephant: whale wants the sea;
Elephant says, "It's the jungle for you and me."
The lion has no horns, that's his woe-
He joins with a deer; and now antlers grow!
[Original: Khichuri (Bengali) , Translation by: Prasenjit Gupta]
Khichuri: a common dish all over India and among the Indian diaspora, a flavorful mixture of rice and dal cooked with spices; also used figuratively to mean a hodgepodge or mixture. The Anglicized spelling was 'kedgeree'.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Khichuri by Sukumar Ray )
- Ego Control, Ali Faisal
- Coming Home, Randy McClave
- what is this? i don't even..., Mandolyn ...
- Today is but tomorrow..., David Lessard
- Sa hagupit ni Yolanda, nagkabuhol-buhol, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- At Nights, Madrason writer
- Trajectorya ng masuyong hampas-lupa, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- falling down a well, well, you pushed me, Mandolyn ...
- Indeed, george albot
- Poets, Do You Agree?, Sandra Feldman
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- One Art, Elizabeth Bishop
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)