Was a duck, porcupine (to grammar I bow not)
Became Duckupine, but how I know not.
Stork tells turtle, "Indeed it's a delight-
Our Stortle shape is exactly right! "
Parrot-Head Lizard feels decidedly silly:
Must he spurn all bugs for a raw green chili?
The goat now hatches a plan to wed-
Mounts scorpion's neck-body unites with head!
The giraffe's reluctant to wander nearby
With his grasshopper wings, he longs to fly.
Says the cow, "What disease has entered the pen
That my rear belongs to a rascally hen? "
Observe the Whalephant: whale wants the sea;
Elephant says, "It's the jungle for you and me."
The lion has no horns, that's his woe-
He joins with a deer; and now antlers grow!
[Original: Khichuri (Bengali) , Translation by: Prasenjit Gupta]
Khichuri: a common dish all over India and among the Indian diaspora, a flavorful mixture of rice and dal cooked with spices; also used figuratively to mean a hodgepodge or mixture. The Anglicized spelling was 'kedgeree'.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Khichuri by Sukumar Ray )
- The Broken Heart, kashif khan
- The Posture Of Consciousness, Maharishi Deja Vu
- Cloudy eyes, Nassy Fesharaki
- Ill luck, hasmukh amathalal
- The Peasant, kashif khan
- Insanity Of Control, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Barren Future, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Big Pharma, michael walkerjohn
- Finding Gold, douglas scotney
- My Thirst, michael walkerjohn
Poem of the Day
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(22 March 1941 -)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns