It Happened One Night..
When the world was warm in bed,
The moon kept raising its head.
Awake I stared at the sky
and waited till night was ripe.
The stillness in me repelled,
The soul was hardly withheld.
A quest to find the unknown,
I set out to walk alone.
Lost in the narrow streets,
with stains of countless feet.
My fingers could read the walls
a blend of autumn and fall
Reminding of lonely lanes
through curves of roughs and plains.
Exploring the secrets of the dark,
I put off the last spark.
to see, if there existed an end,
and edge where light will bend,
at least to nurture the shadows,
who craved so long for halos.
Moving on, a turn came along,
in place of vacuum, shone a blue song.
So, still was i, watching the soul glowing,
White back then, now the red was flowing.
Annoyed it was, to see me lighten
brighter it burned, wanting to frighten.
Flames protruding, filled the space,
Until the walls were all ablaze.
The ashes around had broken the spell,
The fiercely face, was just a shell.
The silvery touch and the voice so mild,
With dew in eyes, the soul smiled.
She called for clouds to rain again,
to quench the earth and spread the green.
I asked my heart and replied it so
thy answers had now begun to show.
I hugged the sky and kissed the earth,
this thunder and rain, the journey was worth.
The dancing soul brilliantly shone
satiated within, I set out for home.
Jaya Varma's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (It Happened One Night.. by Jaya Varma )
- Jadavpur University Campus And The Lefti.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Excellence, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Chains, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- New Dawn, Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- The Stolen Ancient Landmark, Sir Toby
- The Book O' Life, Sir Toby
- Performing To Do Well, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Wear a Cons Smile, Kevin Patrick
- Being aware, hasmukh amathalal
- Needed, Michael McParland
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)