It Happened One Night..
When the world was warm in bed,
The moon kept raising its head.
Awake I stared at the sky
and waited till night was ripe.
The stillness in me repelled,
The soul was hardly withheld.
A quest to find the unknown,
I set out to walk alone.
Lost in the narrow streets,
with stains of countless feet.
My fingers could read the walls
a blend of autumn and fall
Reminding of lonely lanes
through curves of roughs and plains.
Exploring the secrets of the dark,
I put off the last spark.
to see, if there existed an end,
and edge where light will bend,
at least to nurture the shadows,
who craved so long for halos.
Moving on, a turn came along,
in place of vacuum, shone a blue song.
So, still was i, watching the soul glowing,
White back then, now the red was flowing.
Annoyed it was, to see me lighten
brighter it burned, wanting to frighten.
Flames protruding, filled the space,
Until the walls were all ablaze.
The ashes around had broken the spell,
The fiercely face, was just a shell.
The silvery touch and the voice so mild,
With dew in eyes, the soul smiled.
She called for clouds to rain again,
to quench the earth and spread the green.
I asked my heart and replied it so
thy answers had now begun to show.
I hugged the sky and kissed the earth,
this thunder and rain, the journey was worth.
The dancing soul brilliantly shone
satiated within, I set out for home.
Jaya Varma's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (It Happened One Night.. by Jaya Varma )
- You are imperishable, gajanan mishra
- E a Lua e as Estrelas e o Mundo, Gabriela Laufer
- Flower, Cee Bea
- Lavender, Cee Bea
- THE SHRIEK, Satish Verma
- The Terror, David Lewis Paget
- Union - within us, gajanan mishra
- Haiku(GOD), Aftab Alam
- chaos of Christmas near, lee fones
- The earth is moving, gajanan mishra
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)