Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
If a Tree could Wander
Oh, if a tree could wander
and move with foot and wings!
It would not suffer the axe blows
and not the pain of saws!
For would the sun not wander
away in every night ?
How could at ev'ry morning
the world be lighted up?
And if the ocean's water
would not rise to the sky,
How would the plants be quickened
by streams and gentle rain?
The drop that left its homeland,
the sea, and then returned ?
It found an oyster waiting
and grew into a pearl.
Did Yusaf not leave his father,
in grief and tears and despair?
Did he not, by such a journey,
gain kingdom and fortune wide?
Did not the Prophet travel
to far Medina, friend?
And there he found a new kingdom
and ruled a hundred lands.
You lack a foot to travel?
Then journey into yourself!
And like a mine of rubies
receive the sunbeams? print!
Out of yourself ? such a journey
will lead you to your self,
It leads to transformation
of dust into pure gold!
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (If a Tree could Wander by Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(27 December 1797 – 15 February 1869)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Night Thought, William Wordsworth
- Inspiration, Henry David Thoreau
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Thing of Beauty (Endymion), John Keats
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Misunderstood, LLDr. Gyd
- Poem N8, Kristian Djordjanov
- Poem N7, Kristian Djordjanov
- Twilight of Love, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Poem N6, Kristian Djordjanov
- Blesses Be, Clara Keiper
- Poem N5, Kristian Djordjanov
- Glowing Face, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Times Of Yesterday, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Poem N4, Kristian Djordjanov