Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
Happiness and Shirley Temple Girls
I begged to wear my starched,
Dotted swiss in lilac, with white raised polka dots.
Being a princess, my daddy said, so you see, I wore satin ribbons
In my Shirley Temple curls, which all little girls
Wore, no matter the color or length of their hiar.
Shiny shoes of black patent leather, I cried to wear...and
Of course the weather was divine and happiness was mine.
Ice cream cones and a merry-go-round
I rode over and over again, giving no sound
To voice the panic I felt as it turned and turned,
Too fast for my delight, but I showed no fright.
We rolled and rolled down green velvet hills
In frolicking thrills...my dress, suddenly a mess.
Mama's warning to keep the dress clean was
Lost in a dream as we screamed, my siblings
And I...playing tag and swinging on swings
Pushed high in the air and I forgot about my hair
With its Shirley Temple Curls, now a swirl that
No longer curled.
Summer fun, ah so nice to retrace my memories blessed
Back to that place where laughter, dreams and happiness
Were mine to keep as treasures, forever!
Dorothy (Alves) Holmes's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Happiness and Shirley Temple Girls by Dorothy (Alves) Holmes )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(22 March 1941 -)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Acquainted with the Night, Robert Frost
- A Prayer To Mother Nature., Marcondes Pereira
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Being Rich, Randy McClave
- Chief glory, gajanan mishra
- If I Get There, Luis Estable
- That Savor Is So, Luis Estable
- No One KnowsThe Pain I Feel, Luis Estable
- The Kentucky Hangnail, Randy McClave
- Bell, Book & Candle, David Lewis Paget
- Dear baby - (Something Casual), Mitta Xinindlu
- A Glowing Morning, Rohit Sapra
- सबका चहेता तो रहा हूँ sabka chahetaa, hasmukh amathalal