God Is So Great
Seventy thousand now dead, and counting
The victims of another sectarian war.
The obscene toll just keeps on mounting,
And just what are they fighting for?
To prove their interperation of text is right
And they are the only ones who
Have the Great One on their side.
Their belief is pure and true.
Once more an ancient camp fire story
Is taken and used in a murderous fight.
Both sides praying that God in his glory
Will back them with his heavenly might.
But as it's been throughout the ages
No god ever gets involved
The innocent keep dying as the battle rages,
And the problem rarely ends up solved.
The problem is that people will
Even when their god is the same
Because of the silliest difference kill,
They seem incapable of shame.
Maybe it's a lack of education
Or perhaps it's just ignorance and fears
That ensures the perpetuation
Of waterfalls of cascading tears.
Tom Higgins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (God Is So Great by Tom Higgins )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(8 December 65 BC – 27 November 8 BC)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Tiger, William Blake
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- When You Are Old, William Butler Yeats
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- 'Words', Katherine York
- Love, Baki Yigit
- Hopeless Romantic, Shane Clawson
- Firebird Sunset, Salvatore Ala
- Flicker, Jessica Paige Davies
- I will always return, Jessica Paige Davies
- They are my horses, Jessica Paige Davies
- HOW THEY ALL FALL, Terry Collett
- Caucus at the Parking Meter, Donal Mahoney
- A Small Something, Jessica Paige Davies