God Is So Great
Seventy thousand now dead, and counting
The victims of another sectarian war.
The obscene toll just keeps on mounting,
And just what are they fighting for?
To prove their interperation of text is right
And they are the only ones who
Have the Great One on their side.
Their belief is pure and true.
Once more an ancient camp fire story
Is taken and used in a murderous fight.
Both sides praying that God in his glory
Will back them with his heavenly might.
But as it's been throughout the ages
No god ever gets involved
The innocent keep dying as the battle rages,
And the problem rarely ends up solved.
The problem is that people will
Even when their god is the same
Because of the silliest difference kill,
They seem incapable of shame.
Maybe it's a lack of education
Or perhaps it's just ignorance and fears
That ensures the perpetuation
Of waterfalls of cascading tears.
Tom Higgins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (God Is So Great by Tom Higgins )
- Not a Drop of Anger Can Exist, Mr. Nobody
- Walking With The Master, Heather Burns
- O night, you have so much beauty really, gajanan mishra
- Passage for, hasmukh amathalal
- I Did Not Know, Jerome Chukwuemeka Edwin
- Simply Spoken Life, Heather Burns
- Did You Ever Love Me, Peter S. Quinn
- On To the Night, Peter S. Quinn
- Haiku...Highway Heart Race, Ken e Hall
- Guaman Poma, Nassy Fesharaki
Poem of the Day
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)