God Is So Great
Seventy thousand now dead, and counting
The victims of another sectarian war.
The obscene toll just keeps on mounting,
And just what are they fighting for?
To prove their interperation of text is right
And they are the only ones who
Have the Great One on their side.
Their belief is pure and true.
Once more an ancient camp fire story
Is taken and used in a murderous fight.
Both sides praying that God in his glory
Will back them with his heavenly might.
But as it's been throughout the ages
No god ever gets involved
The innocent keep dying as the battle rages,
And the problem rarely ends up solved.
The problem is that people will
Even when their god is the same
Because of the silliest difference kill,
They seem incapable of shame.
Maybe it's a lack of education
Or perhaps it's just ignorance and fears
That ensures the perpetuation
Of waterfalls of cascading tears.
Tom Higgins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (God Is So Great by Tom Higgins )
- Unseen water, Pintu Mahakul
- _Erato my Muse of love poetry, Erato
- AN EMOTIONAL STORY I COULDN'T TELL, Godspower Oshodin
- Shift and Drift, Aftab Alam
- Rivalry is humane to time, Ajala Samuel Akindele
- Certain attitudes to be followed by the .., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Sorry-Wrong Number, Aftab Alam
- Gripes of. Freedom, Nalini Chaturvedi
- Jesus Of Nazareth, Naveed Khalid
- Keebored Problems, Phil Soar