God Is So Great
Seventy thousand now dead, and counting
The victims of another sectarian war.
The obscene toll just keeps on mounting,
And just what are they fighting for?
To prove their interperation of text is right
And they are the only ones who
Have the Great One on their side.
Their belief is pure and true.
Once more an ancient camp fire story
Is taken and used in a murderous fight.
Both sides praying that God in his glory
Will back them with his heavenly might.
But as it's been throughout the ages
No god ever gets involved
The innocent keep dying as the battle rages,
And the problem rarely ends up solved.
The problem is that people will
Even when their god is the same
Because of the silliest difference kill,
They seem incapable of shame.
Maybe it's a lack of education
Or perhaps it's just ignorance and fears
That ensures the perpetuation
Of waterfalls of cascading tears.
Tom Higgins's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (God Is So Great by Tom Higgins )
- Seal, William Jay Smith
- Hindi Haiku ghazal (boond) हाइकू ग़ज़ल, S.D. TIWARI
- Behave like dog and not human, Aftab Alam
- A Pavane for the Nursery, William Jay Smith
- The Toaster, William Jay Smith
- The Floor and the Ceiling, William Jay Smith
- Hindi Haiku (91-95), S.D. TIWARI
- Polar Bear, William Jay Smith
- Penguin, William Jay Smith
- Hindi Haiku (81-90), S.D. TIWARI
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)