Dr Tapan Kumar Pradhan
Dr Tapan Kumar Pradhan (October 22,1972 / Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India)
Give Me That Promotion, Sir!
How are you, sir?
I was just passing by,
thought I might as well drop in
and enquire about your health, sir.
How is your stomach, sir, I am sure
by now it should be perfectly alright, sir.
And how is madam, sir
such a marvellous, gracious lady
I always look upon her as my mother, sir
Whatever she tells me is a command for me
so kind-hearted and down to earth,
even my own mother could never
inspire me so much in life, sir.
And how is your son, sir.
Such a dashing, intelligent, fashionable young man,
of all people I know, I admire him the most, sir
always in know of things, always so inquisitive,
always looks so majestic when he drives
his superbike through the crowded streets, sir
Yes, and what superb control, sir
he can be a fantastic film star, sure
and of course, any day he can become
a scientist, a doctor, a great entrepreneur, sir -
it is all your teaching, your grooming, your sacrifice, sir
and of course, it is all in the genes,
anybody cannot be like him just like that, sir.
I just came to know Little Sir had a cold, sir
I immediately prayed to God, how unfair it is
such small things like cold, fever, headaches
You give to me, Lord, instead
why should such things happen
to an important person like Little Sir, sir.
And how is the dog, sir, I mean Jimmy, sir
I even remember his name, sir
what a fine dog, sir, a superb dog
If you ever wanted to have a dog
then it has to be like him, like Jimmy only
I see you every morning, going for a walk
with Jimmy following, wagging his nice little tail
what a tail, sir, what a beautiful flourishing tail -
Such a lively, faithful and fantastic dog, sir
never barks or growls, never does anything at all
to anybody, always looks upon you so obediently
with such cheerful expressive transparent black eyes
You have perfect choice in everything, sir
That is my ideal sir – faithful and always cheerful
always ready to give your life for your Master -
That is my ambition sir, I even envy Jimmy, sir
always privileged to walk along side
such a great personage like you, sir
If I am born again, I should
Iove to be born as Jimmy, sir.
What else, sir. I was just passing by,
thought I might as well drop in
and enquire about your wellbeing, sir.
Did I forget to tell you something sir?
No sir, yes sir. You know everything sir.
May I now take your leave, sir
You must be very very busy sir
If there is anything worth doing by me
Kindly tell me, simply send a message to me, sir.
OK, sir, thank you sir.
We’ll meet again, sir
And God be always with you, sir.
(1) Substitute 'promotion' with any of the following words - Foreign Tours, Hometown Posting, Best Employee Award, Out-of-turn Flat Allotment, Departmental Shields, Frequent HR Training etc - and see whether the meaning of the poem changes at all! !
(2) Jimmy can belong to anybody - your batchmate, flatmate, soulmate, mindmate, bodymate, friend, neighbour, colleague....anybody. Jimmy can be anybody.
Submitted: Thursday, August 22, 2013
Edited: Wednesday, October 23, 2013
Dr Tapan Kumar Pradhan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Poem is dedicated to the memory of the incomparable Shri A. K. Bera, PCGM, RBI.
Comments about this poem (Give Me That Promotion, Sir! by Dr Tapan Kumar Pradhan )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Is Adil Jussawalla The Eklavya, Abhimany.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- I Envy The Rats, Kyle Schlicher
- Thanks for elienating me., Tiyani Shadrack Manganya
- Ain't Try'n Deny'n, Steve Kittell
- You is Me, Mapung Madura
- Legendary Nostradamus Prophet, lee fones
- Thomas' Impossible Escape, Susan Wetmore
- Business-like, gajanan mishra
- Why Poetry Is Beautiful, Leong Ming Loong
- Blood Bath, Suresh Dogra