Dr Tapan Kumar Pradhan
Dr Tapan Kumar Pradhan (October 22,1972 / Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India)
Give Me That Promotion, Sir!
How are you, sir?
I was just passing by,
thought I might as well drop in
and enquire about your health, sir.
How is your stomach, sir, I am sure
by now it should be perfectly alright, sir.
And how is madam, sir
such a marvellous, gracious lady
I always look upon her as my mother, sir
Whatever she tells me is a command for me
so kind-hearted and down to earth,
even my own mother could never
inspire me so much in life, sir.
And how is your son, sir.
Such a dashing, intelligent, fashionable young man,
of all people I know, I admire him the most, sir
always in know of things, always so inquisitive,
always looks so majestic when he drives
his superbike through the crowded streets, sir
Yes, and what superb control, sir
he can be a fantastic film star, sure
and of course, any day he can become
a scientist, a doctor, a great entrepreneur, sir -
it is all your teaching, your grooming, your sacrifice, sir
and of course, it is all in the genes,
anybody cannot be like him just like that, sir.
I just came to know Little Sir had a cold, sir
I immediately prayed to God, how unfair it is
such small things like cold, fever, headaches
You give to me, Lord, instead
why should such things happen
to an important person like Little Sir, sir.
And how is the dog, sir, I mean Jimmy, sir
I even remember his name, sir
what a fine dog, sir, a superb dog
If you ever wanted to have a dog
then it has to be like him, like Jimmy only
I see you every morning, going for a walk
with Jimmy following, wagging his nice little tail
what a tail, sir, what a beautiful flourishing tail -
Such a lively, faithful and fantastic dog, sir
never barks or growls, never does anything at all
to anybody, always looks upon you so obediently
with such cheerful expressive transparent black eyes
You have perfect choice in everything, sir
That is my ideal sir – faithful and always cheerful
always ready to give your life for your Master -
That is my ambition sir, I even envy Jimmy, sir
always privileged to walk along side
such a great personage like you, sir
If I am born again, I should
Iove to be born as Jimmy, sir.
What else, sir. I was just passing by,
thought I might as well drop in
and enquire about your wellbeing, sir.
Did I forget to tell you something sir?
No sir, yes sir. You know everything sir.
May I now take your leave, sir
You must be very very busy sir
If there is anything worth doing by me
Kindly tell me, simply send a message to me, sir.
OK, sir, thank you sir.
We’ll meet again, sir
And God be always with you, sir.
(1) Substitute 'promotion' with any of the following words - Foreign Tours, Hometown Posting, Best Employee Award, Out-of-turn Flat Allotment, Departmental Shields, Frequent HR Training etc - and see whether the meaning of the poem changes at all! !
(2) Jimmy can belong to anybody - your batchmate, flatmate, soulmate, mindmate, bodymate, friend, neighbour, colleague....anybody. Jimmy can be anybody.
Submitted: Thursday, August 22, 2013
Edited: Wednesday, October 23, 2013
Dr Tapan Kumar Pradhan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Poem is dedicated to the memory of the incomparable Shri A. K. Bera, PCGM, RBI.
Comments about this poem (Give Me That Promotion, Sir! by Dr Tapan Kumar Pradhan )
- Give me A Chance Ft Chidera Nwokeji, izuchukwu lucius
- Male, kassem oude
- M.Lermontov, Stances - 4 - translation .., Lyudmila Purgina
- Never compare, gajanan mishra
- The Lamentation Of David Over Saul And J.., George Wither
- Thine am I, my faithful Fair, Robert Burns
- The Gowden Locks of Anna, Robert Burns
- Epigram—The Toad-eater, Robert Burns
- Second Epistle to Robert Graham, Esq., o.., Robert Burns
- Crazy Cotton Limerick, Philo Yan
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fear No More, William Shakespeare
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Naming of Parts, Henry Reed
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Heather Burns