Shams al-Din Hafiz Shirazi
From The Garden of Heaven
FROM the garden of Heaven a western breeze
Blows through the leaves of my garden of earth;
With a love like a huri I'ld take mine ease,
And wine! bring me wine, the giver of mirth!
To-day the beggar may boast him a king,
His banqueting-hall is the ripening field,
And his tent the shadow that soft clouds fling.
A tale of April the meadows unfold--
Ah, foolish for future credit to slave,
And to leave the cash of the present untold!
Build a fort with wine where thy heart may brave
The assault of the world; when thy fortress falls,
The relentless victor shall knead from thy dust
The bricks that repair its crumbling walls.
Trust not the word of that foe in the fight!
Shall the lamp of the synagogue lend its flame
To set thy monastic torches alight?
Drunken am I, yet place not my name
In the Book of Doom, nor pass judgment on it;
Who knows what the secret finger of Fate
Upon his own white forehead has writ!
And when the spirit of Hafiz has fled,
Follow his bier with a tribute of sighs;
Though the ocean of sin has closed o'er his head,
He may find a place in God's Paradise.
Shams al-Din Hafiz Shirazi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (From The Garden of Heaven by Shams al-Din Hafiz Shirazi )
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 March 1907 – 11 September 1987)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Clean And Cleanliness, gajanan mishra
- Ring Out , Wild Bells, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- Main neer bhari dukh ki badli, Mahadevi Varma
Poem of the Day
- I Wander Lost, Shalom Freedman
- उसका ही अपमान करते हो uska hi apmaan, hasmukh amathalal
- In restless sea, gajanan mishra
- Christmas Is Here Tonight, Hebert Logerie
- खता करके, तुम्हारे द्वार पर, हर बार जाता.., Abhishek Omprakash Mishra
- Love Letter, Gillu Rahul
- Crystal Clear, Jason Summers
- SONG OF YULETIDE EVE, Sir Toby Moses
- Resolution, Neela Nath
- The Fault In Our Stars, Asma Riaz Khan