Shams al-Din Hafiz Shirazi
From The Garden of Heaven
FROM the garden of Heaven a western breeze
Blows through the leaves of my garden of earth;
With a love like a huri I'ld take mine ease,
And wine! bring me wine, the giver of mirth!
To-day the beggar may boast him a king,
His banqueting-hall is the ripening field,
And his tent the shadow that soft clouds fling.
A tale of April the meadows unfold--
Ah, foolish for future credit to slave,
And to leave the cash of the present untold!
Build a fort with wine where thy heart may brave
The assault of the world; when thy fortress falls,
The relentless victor shall knead from thy dust
The bricks that repair its crumbling walls.
Trust not the word of that foe in the fight!
Shall the lamp of the synagogue lend its flame
To set thy monastic torches alight?
Drunken am I, yet place not my name
In the Book of Doom, nor pass judgment on it;
Who knows what the secret finger of Fate
Upon his own white forehead has writ!
And when the spirit of Hafiz has fled,
Follow his bier with a tribute of sighs;
Though the ocean of sin has closed o'er his head,
He may find a place in God's Paradise.
Shams al-Din Hafiz Shirazi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (From The Garden of Heaven by Shams al-Din Hafiz Shirazi )
- Uncompleted Quest, Mark Nixon Legaspi
- All-in-one, Edward Kofi Louis
- Make Me, Sentamu Aziz
- The Traffic Light, Edward Kofi Louis
- Bye Baby, Sentamu Aziz
- Homeland, Ibrahim Nasrallah
- Kylie, Edward Kofi Louis
- Childhood, Ibrahim Nasrallah
- Poetical Arizona Deserts, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Freedom, Ibrahim Nasrallah
Poem of the Day
- Blackberry-Picking, Seamus Heaney
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Prison Cell, Mahmoud Darwish
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)