Sunday night in the house.
The blinds drawn, the phone dead.
The sound of the kettle, the rain.
Supper: cheese, celery, bread.
For company, old letters
In the same disjointed script.
Old love wells up again,
All that I thought had slipped
Through the sieve of long absence
Is here with me again:
The long stone walls, the green
Hillsides renewed with rain.
The way you would lick your finger
And touch your forehead, the way
You hummed a phrase from the flute
Sonatas, or turned to say,
"Larches--the only conifers
That honestly blend with Wales."
I walk with you again
Along these settled trails.
It seems I started this poem
So many years ago
I cannt follow its ending
And must begin anew.
Blame, some bitterness,
I recall there were these.
Yet what survives is Bach
And a few blackberries
Something of the "falling starlight",
In the phrase of Wang Wei,
Falls on my shadowed self.
I thank you that today
His words are open to me.
How much you have inspired
You cannot know. The end
Left much to be desired.
"There is a comfort in
The strength of love." I quote
You vouchsafed me. Please note
The lack of hope or faith:
Neither is justified.
I have closed out the night.
The random rain outside
Rejuvenates the parched
Foothills along the Bay.
Anaesthetised by years
I think of you today
Not with impassionedness
So much as half a smile
To see the weathered past
Still worth my present while.
Vikram Seth's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (From California by Vikram Seth )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- The Rainbow, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Cut Myself While Shaving, Kyle Schlicher
- The Basket Weavers, Holly Wotherspoon
- Eternal Life, Michael P. McParland
- Enriched, Michael P. McParland
- Christmas Lights, Meriam Joseph
- 12/12/13, Andy Sayasone
- Endless Deep Beauty, Michael P. McParland
- Empty Nights, Michael P. McParland
- You Are......, Michael P. McParland
- आतंकवाद और उसका मज़हब (Terrorism and its.., Pawan Kumar Bharti