Vikram Seth Poems
- The Frog And The Nightingale Once upon a time a frog Croaked...
- All You Who Sleep Tonight All you who sleep tonight Far from...
- Round And Round After a long and wretched flight That ...
- Progress Report My need has frayed with time; you said it ...
- Promise I will be easy company; the blur Of what I longed ...
- The Golden Gate - I (A Novel I... To make a start more ...
- Unclaimed To make love with a stranger is the best. There is...
Vikram Seth is an Indian poet, novelist, travel writer, librettist, children's writer, biographer and memoirist.
Born and Early Life
Vikram Seth was born to Leila and Prem Seth in Calcutta (now Kolkata). His family lived in many cities including the Bata Shoe Company town of Batanagar, Danapur near Patna, and in London.
His younger brother, Shantum, leads Buddhist meditational tours. His younger sister, Aradhana, is a film-maker married to an Austrian diplomat, and has worked on Deepa Mehta's movies Earth and Fire. (Compare the characters Haresh, Lata, Savita and two of the Chatterji siblings in A Suitable Boy: Seth has been candid in acknowledging that ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
The Frog And The Nightingale
Once upon a time a frog
Croaked away in Bingle Bog
Every night from dusk to dawn
He croaked awn and awn and awn
Other creatures loathed his voice,
But, alas, they had no choice,
And the crass cacophony
Blared out from the sumac tree
At whose foot the frog each night
Minstrelled on till morning night
Neither stones nor prayers nor sticks.
Insults or complaints or bricks
Stilled the frogs determination
To display his heart's elation.
But one night a nightingale
In the moonlight cold and pale
Perched upon the sumac tree
Casting forth her ...