Don't Curse The Darkness
Your marriage ends ‘cause you're a jerk, and your wife's had enough.
For all these years, she's simply laughed and put up with your stuff.
Instead of trying to change your ways, in self-pity you immerse.
Why should you light a candle when the darkness you can curse?
You lose your job ‘cause time and time again you showed up late.
Your boss decided this time she would do more than berate.
You hit the club and, on liquor, your money you disburse.
You'd never light a candle when the darkness you can curse.
Your kids are flunking classes, and they blame it all on you.
It isn't so much what you did but what you didn't do.
You're racked with guilt so, surely, you could not feel any worse.
It's dumb to light a candle when the darkness you can curse.
Election Day and, as always, you have no plans to vote.
You feel that politicians these days are far too remote.
Regarding things political, you've always been averse.
And only fools light candles when there's darkness they can curse.
Things that go wrong in life, you feel you can't do much about.
And so you cannot help but think that options, you're without.
But only you are able to make all those things reverse.
Just light a candle and you won't have darkness you can curse.
William Chaplar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Don't Curse The Darkness by William Chaplar )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- To an Athlete Dying Young, Alfred Edward Housman
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- midnight dream, Cee Bea
- know you are there...., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- You Are Your Wish, Gbolagade Taiwo
- a small stop...., Ganesh Veeraraghavan
- Id est, Frank Avon
- December 28th: Feast Of The Holy Innocents, Saiom Shriver
- End of the Year, Light Mark
- Let It Be on Monday, God, Donal Mahoney
- Rain, Devin Lasker
- Lyrics Lifted Aloft, Saiom Shriver