Don't Curse The Darkness
Your marriage ends ‘cause you're a jerk, and your wife's had enough.
For all these years, she's simply laughed and put up with your stuff.
Instead of trying to change your ways, in self-pity you immerse.
Why should you light a candle when the darkness you can curse?
You lose your job ‘cause time and time again you showed up late.
Your boss decided this time she would do more than berate.
You hit the club and, on liquor, your money you disburse.
You'd never light a candle when the darkness you can curse.
Your kids are flunking classes, and they blame it all on you.
It isn't so much what you did but what you didn't do.
You're racked with guilt so, surely, you could not feel any worse.
It's dumb to light a candle when the darkness you can curse.
Election Day and, as always, you have no plans to vote.
You feel that politicians these days are far too remote.
Regarding things political, you've always been averse.
And only fools light candles when there's darkness they can curse.
Things that go wrong in life, you feel you can't do much about.
And so you cannot help but think that options, you're without.
But only you are able to make all those things reverse.
Just light a candle and you won't have darkness you can curse.
William Chaplar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Don't Curse The Darkness by William Chaplar )
- Gigh Anamur n UmaDal, Mohamed Mahou
- -Silent Became My Walking Shadow-, Ali Sabry
- - I Wish You Weren't In-, Ali Sabry
- - Princes Was A Dream Girl Day and Night-, Ali Sabry
- - Hurtful Interaction-, Ali Sabry
- - Please My Lovely Lady Don't Leave Lone.., Ali Sabry
- - My heart loves you -, Ali Sabry
- Floppy, Sidi J. Mahtrow
- -I Do Not Only Loving You-, Ali Sabry
- -How Can I Sleep Honey & I Left You Lone.., Ali Sabry
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Woman's Last Word, Robert Browning
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)