Don't apologize for what you've done
Don't apologize for what you've done - I'm saying this
in secret. I say to my personal other:
Here all of your memories are visible:
Midday ennui in a cat's somnolence,
the cock's comb,
a scent of sage,
a straw mat with pillows,
the iron door to your room,
a fly buzzing around Socrates,
the cloud above Plato,
your three brothers and three sisters,
your childhood friends -
and a klatch of meddlers:
'Is that him?'
The witnesses disagree:
'It seems to be.'
'And who is he?'
I get no answer.
I whisper to my other:
'Is he the one that was you… that was me?'
He looks away.
The witnesses turn to my mother to confirm
he is me and
she readies herself to sing
her unique song:
'I'm the one who bore him,
but the wind brought him up.'
And I say to my other: 'Don't apologize, except to your mother.'
Mahmoud Darwish's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Don't apologize for what you've done by Mahmoud Darwish )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Three Kings, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Suicide in the Trenches, Siegfried Sassoon
Poem of the Day
- Your smile, Leong Ming Loong
- everything is ok, Cee Bea
- मेरी तनहाइयां..............., sanjay kumar maurya
- Curses Of Much, Naveed Akram
- Colors of Our Love, Saliah Jabbar
- witness, Cee Bea
- It Was Delightfully Cold, Naveed Akram
- DUAL ROLE, MBJ Pancras
- My One True Love, Leong Ming Loong
- For they were lovers each-other, Pijush Biswas