Decalogue Of The Artist
I. You shall love beauty, which is the shadow of God
over the Universe.
II.There is no godless art. Although you love not the
Creator, you shall bear witness to Him creating His likeness.
III.You shall create beauty not to excite the senses
but to give sustenance to the soul.
IV. You shall never use beauty as a pretext for luxury
and vanity but as a spiritual devotion.
V. You shall not seek beauty at carnival or fair
or offer your work there, for beauty is virginal
and is not to be found at carnival or fair.
VI. Beauty shall rise from your heart in song,
and you shall be the first to be purified.
VII.The beauty you create shall be known
as compassion and shall console the hearts of men.
VIII.You shall bring forth your work as a mother
brings forth her child: out of the blood of your heart.
IX. Beauty shall not be an opiate that puts you
to sleep but a strong wine that fires you to action,
for if you fail to be a true man or a true woman,
you will fail to be an artist.
X. Each act of creation shall leave you humble,
for it is never as great as your dream and always
inferior to that most marvelous dream of God
which is Nature.
Gabriela Mistral's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Decalogue Of The Artist by Gabriela Mistral )
- Dangerous Curiosity, Md. Ziaul Haque
- To My First Love, Naveed Khalid
- She, Naveed Khalid
- Healing Woman, Md. Ziaul Haque
- mithilak varnan, sushant jha
- Separation is Bliss Sometimes, Md. Ziaul Haque
- An Epitaph, Naveed Khalid
- Post-postmodern Love, Md. Ziaul Haque
- To You... My Precious being, Niken Kusuma Wardani
- Who can Love You More than Me?, Md. Ziaul Haque
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stars, Joyce Kilmer
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)