Decalogue Of The Artist
I. You shall love beauty, which is the shadow of God
over the Universe.
II.There is no godless art. Although you love not the
Creator, you shall bear witness to Him creating His likeness.
III.You shall create beauty not to excite the senses
but to give sustenance to the soul.
IV. You shall never use beauty as a pretext for luxury
and vanity but as a spiritual devotion.
V. You shall not seek beauty at carnival or fair
or offer your work there, for beauty is virginal
and is not to be found at carnival or fair.
VI. Beauty shall rise from your heart in song,
and you shall be the first to be purified.
VII.The beauty you create shall be known
as compassion and shall console the hearts of men.
VIII.You shall bring forth your work as a mother
brings forth her child: out of the blood of your heart.
IX. Beauty shall not be an opiate that puts you
to sleep but a strong wine that fires you to action,
for if you fail to be a true man or a true woman,
you will fail to be an artist.
X. Each act of creation shall leave you humble,
for it is never as great as your dream and always
inferior to that most marvelous dream of God
which is Nature.
Gabriela Mistral's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Decalogue Of The Artist by Gabriela Mistral )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Their Lights Has Gone Out, Wilfred Mellers
- Jagger & Richards, Richard Thripp
- Plates from Fifteen Years of Marriage, Bill Grace
- Nature's Opera, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Tough Guys, Manny Furious
- Wow, that's a effed up cloud...., Manny Furious
- Breaking Inner Strait Jackets, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- We won the game 22-6...., Manny Furious
- My effing garden...., Manny Furious
- After a day of yard work...., Manny Furious