Frank V. Gardner
Danny's Home Again
Our Danny came back home to us
By Greyhound bus today.
The count of days was forty-six
Since when he went away.
He thumbed a ride to San Antone,
And hopped a freight from there.
He didn't have the wherewithal
To pay the travel fare.
In Granite City, Illinois,
He loaded railroad ties,
While learning pay is just reward
He gets because he tries.
He thought he'd work the summer,
But then he heard our plea,
Through one Salvation Army man,
Who read my poetry.
And so, he climbed aboard a bus,
He paid his fare, and then....
He came back to the border
And his family once again.
Now Danny's back, and we'll have our
With love, cooperation.... and
Some quiet harmony.
(Written on June 17,1972, in Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, Mexico.)
Frank V. Gardner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Danny's Home Again by Frank V. Gardner )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- A Hidden Haiku Legend, Merton Lee
- Improve image, hasmukh amathalal
- We Can Make it Home, Leah Ayliffe
- You've got what I desperately need; so l.., Stanley Collymore
- For a lifetime, Cee Bea
- A rant, George Dee Vuy
- MAN'S GREATEST NEED, Michael P. Johnson
- The unknown face, vinit ghosh
- Kiss Me Bye, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Lust, Love, Hate, Pain, freya busby