Frank V. Gardner
Danny's Home Again
Our Danny came back home to us
By Greyhound bus today.
The count of days was forty-six
Since when he went away.
He thumbed a ride to San Antone,
And hopped a freight from there.
He didn't have the wherewithal
To pay the travel fare.
In Granite City, Illinois,
He loaded railroad ties,
While learning pay is just reward
He gets because he tries.
He thought he'd work the summer,
But then he heard our plea,
Through one Salvation Army man,
Who read my poetry.
And so, he climbed aboard a bus,
He paid his fare, and then....
He came back to the border
And his family once again.
Now Danny's back, and we'll have our
With love, cooperation.... and
Some quiet harmony.
(Written on June 17,1972, in Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, Mexico.)
Frank V. Gardner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Danny's Home Again by Frank V. Gardner )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 February 1970-)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Main To Jhonka Hu Hava Ka Ura Le Jaunga, Kumar Vishwas
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
Poem of the Day
- NIGHT WHISPER, john chizoba vincent
- Missing, Marilyn Jean
- Mourning Glory, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I Seem Deprived, But..., Brave Hearts
- No More War for Heroes Forty-Four, Tom Navarro
- Vintage Dreams, Nika McGuin
- MOTHER'S CURSE, john chizoba vincent
- Little Images, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Risque, Tiku akp
- Loss of Innocence, Bijay Kant Dubey