Frank V. Gardner
Iambic Tetrameter and Me
Today, I sat me down to ponder
Why I write like this:
Four metric feet, first line of text,
And three feet in the next.
This sing-song meter ambles on
From line to line, and then,
A rhyme is put, delightfully,
To have the stanza end.
From where the rhythm and the style?
From where I caught the rhyme?
I thought back to my schooling days,
And poem-reading time.
Ancient Mariner is one
That I remember well:
Its rhyme and rhythm still come through,
As clearly as a bell:
Then, Shakespeare and the other greats,
Who wrote iambic lines,
Influenced me so subtly,
Their style, my pen defines.
'America the Beautiful'
Has meter, style, and grace;
And most of us are wondered by
Its thoughtful, moving pace.
This four-feet, three-feet meter fits
So well in verse or song,
We memorize it easily
And sense it when it's wrong.
It's this bound verse that captured me,
Poetic pen and all:
It's why I write iambic lines,
And have myself a ball.
This iambic tetrameter,
Trimeter in line two:
I write it for the pleasure
And enjoyment given you,,,,
Frank V. Gardner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Iambic Tetrameter and Me by Frank V. Gardner )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- Without Purpose Or Reason Affixed, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- The Baobab Tree, I Am Krakatoa
- Game of chance, Aftab Alam
- 'Tween Love and Hatred,, Aftab Alam
- Life alright, hasmukh amathalal
- A Child Is Like A Flowering Rose, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Only one...1, hasmukh amathalal
- Caring For A Lonely Heart, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Play Any Tune, Neela Nath
- It Was the Best Day, Sandra Feldman