Frank V. Gardner
Iambic Tetrameter and Me
Today, I sat me down to ponder
Why I write like this:
Four metric feet, first line of text,
And three feet in the next.
This sing-song meter ambles on
From line to line, and then,
A rhyme is put, delightfully,
To have the stanza end.
From where the rhythm and the style?
From where I caught the rhyme?
I thought back to my schooling days,
And poem-reading time.
Ancient Mariner is one
That I remember well:
Its rhyme and rhythm still come through,
As clearly as a bell:
Then, Shakespeare and the other greats,
Who wrote iambic lines,
Influenced me so subtly,
Their style, my pen defines.
'America the Beautiful'
Has meter, style, and grace;
And most of us are wondered by
Its thoughtful, moving pace.
This four-feet, three-feet meter fits
So well in verse or song,
We memorize it easily
And sense it when it's wrong.
It's this bound verse that captured me,
Poetic pen and all:
It's why I write iambic lines,
And have myself a ball.
This iambic tetrameter,
Trimeter in line two:
I write it for the pleasure
And enjoyment given you,,,,
Frank V. Gardner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Iambic Tetrameter and Me by Frank V. Gardner )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- A Life-Lesson, James Whitcomb Riley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Leisure, William Henry Davies
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Uski yaade, Thakur Jain
- Hurting, Jamila M.K.Hussen
- Little girl, Amal Ahmed
- Weeping Heart, Michael P. McParland
- The Bluff-masters As Poets, Bijay Kant Dubey
- God was born, devon da poet
- Her Name, TheSilent Loudness
- Inside, Amal Ahmed
- To Be Loved, Tom Zart
- On Seeing You, I Found A Red Rose Standi.., Bijay Kant Dubey