Frank V. Gardner
He Knows What He's Doing
One day in March, my little girl and I had lunch together.
We looked outside, across the lawn, and talked about the weather.
The wind was strong; the cedar trees were in its billows dancing.
The clouds were moving swiftly by; the scene was quite entrancing.
'Look, daddy, 'Maureen said to me, 'how hard the wind is blowing!
I betcha on a colder day, that blowing would be snowing!
And what is it keeps yonder rocks from leaving where they're staying,
While, overhead, those cedar trees are back-and-forward swaying? '
'It's gravity, 'I said, a force by which our God is proving
That He can make those rocks stay put, while flimsy things are moving.'
We also spoke of nature: how it helps God keeping order.
Then I could see impressions being made upon my daughter.
We even spoke of when our God receives us into heaven.
I told her she would understand that more at age of seven.
She squinted up where clouds, and sky, and shapes were interchanging....
I wondered in what areas her 'childish' mind was ranging.
'Those holes up in the sky', she said, 'I hope have bottoms to them.
How else would God be able to keep us from falling through them? '
'Our God, ' I said, 'has loving hands; he'd hold us very gently;
He wouldn't let us fall at all.' She looked at me intently.
Then, I could tell, her 'growing' mind had something in it brewing.
She thought.... and smiled....
'Well, He know what He doing! '
(I had this conversation in 1959 with my pre-school
daughter, Maureen, who was almost six at the time.
The poem was written a few years later,
January 1965, in Vienna, Virginia.)
Frank V. Gardner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (He Knows What He's Doing by Frank V. Gardner )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1904 - 1967)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- In The Depths of Solitude, Tupac Shakur
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
Poem of the Day
- You are not allowed to walk, gajanan mishra
- If you want success, gajanan mishra
- Global Mother Sarada, Tushar Ray
- Plateau Of Relief, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Candles, Leong Ming Loong
- Realtor - Twas the Month Before Christmas, Tim Halladay
- Freedome Of Interior Imagination, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Pain and Love Thoughts, Tiger Auntunette
- THE PROXY, michael walkerjohn
- Soul and air, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.