Frank V. Gardner
Do the Best You Can
The world around us doesn't wait for us to make a mark;
For waiting is so futile when we have so little spark.
So many do the waiting as they watch the world go by;
Too many sit and wonder how the mountains meet the sky.
It's those who climb the mountain, even those who leave the ground,
Who find that, in so doing, simple answers may be found.
The ones who show their fellow man the way good things are done,
May not make easy money, but they're good at having fun.
Let's get up off our haunches! Do our thing, though it be small;
It's better late or little.... than to not have tried at all.
The least of us can make a mark upon our fellow man....
And on the world around us.... when we do the best we can.
(I wrote this at the Department of State while applying to enter the Foreign Service, Washington, D. C.,1964.)
Frank V. Gardner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Do the Best You Can by Frank V. Gardner )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
- Who Ever Loved That Loved Not at First S.., Christopher Marlowe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Johnny Giles (Clerihew), Paul Butters
- Vapour Trail Sky, Paul Gerard Reed
- Carrot/Stick Solution, Ima Ryma
- electrification, oskar hansen
- Love And Respect, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Curtain of Fog, V P Mahur
- Love's Dictum, L. E. O. Gibraltar
- Crow Is Still Thirsty, V P Mahur
- Holding Onto Inner Purposes, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Caring For Yourself, RoseAnn V. Shawiak