Frank V. Gardner
Come Home. Danny
The day that Danny went away
He didn't make a fuss.
It was the second day of May....
He left a note for us.
It said he'd join us later on....
He wanted better life.
God knows we tried before he left,
Despite some family strife.
But off he went, with nothing but
The clothing that he wore.
A friend who saw him headed north,
Reported nothing more.
Where did he go? What could he do?
A fifteen-year-old boy....
A letter or a phone call would
Just fill our hearts with joy.
But we must sit and wonder as
We hope and pray for him,
While he is out there all alone
In answer to his whim.
This quiet plea is in our hearts
With every passing night:
'Come home to us now, Danny boy,
Let's try to make things right.'
God help and guide you, Danny boy,
And bring you home to stay.
Then we'll forget that day in May....
When you just walked away.
(Written on May 19,1972, in Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, Mexico.)
Frank V. Gardner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Come Home. Danny by Frank V. Gardner )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- XVII (I do not love you...), Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- May I be allowed, gajanan mishra
- The Green Days, Nhuan LeXuan
- leaving the dream ajar, Mandolyn ...
- Androids in my Dream, Rachel Nichols
- The Day Before Christmas 1968, Kyle Schlicher
- Tocaña, Nassy Fesharaki
- Haze your Dream, Antonio Liao
- With gun yielding, hasmukh amathalal
- Along with many, hasmukh amathalal
- No other culture, hasmukh amathalal