Frank V. Gardner
Come Home. Danny
The day that Danny went away
He didn't make a fuss.
It was the second day of May....
He left a note for us.
It said he'd join us later on....
He wanted better life.
God knows we tried before he left,
Despite some family strife.
But off he went, with nothing but
The clothing that he wore.
A friend who saw him headed north,
Reported nothing more.
Where did he go? What could he do?
A fifteen-year-old boy....
A letter or a phone call would
Just fill our hearts with joy.
But we must sit and wonder as
We hope and pray for him,
While he is out there all alone
In answer to his whim.
This quiet plea is in our hearts
With every passing night:
'Come home to us now, Danny boy,
Let's try to make things right.'
God help and guide you, Danny boy,
And bring you home to stay.
Then we'll forget that day in May....
When you just walked away.
(Written on May 19,1972, in Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, Mexico.)
Frank V. Gardner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Come Home. Danny by Frank V. Gardner )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- When You Speak to Your God, Robert Kane
- Maiden Of Ekwensu, Chibueze Oscar Osuji
- Whom to, gajanan mishra
- Holy place, hasmukh amathalal
- y0ur gR0uNd uP wAtEr makEs the wind so c.., sEaN nOrTh
- The friends, hasmukh amathalal
- Haa maine mela dekha hai, Ajeet Singh Dhruv
- Two breaths, Christian Lacdael
- Archeologist, Dr PJ Raj Kamal
- In last leg, hasmukh amathalal