Couch Potato Land
Quietly we watch
The dissolution of the world.
A soft and gentle cataclysm
Like the insidious fall of snow
Or the silting of a dam.
Flake by flake, grain by grain
We kiss the world goodbye.
Last week we watched
The princess death
The disappearance of the nun.
Who can care, who can notice
The pace of the hour hand
That eats our life
Like a necrophilic acid,
Stuff your mouth
With buttered popcorn.
Look! I have no toes.
Who needs toes?
Anyway, they were numb.
Soon, your ankles
Will have vaporized.
Let's see -
Tonight will be
The four hundredth rerun
Of 'Gone with the Wind'.
Frankly, my dear,
I don't give a damn.
Jan Sand's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Couch Potato Land by Jan Sand )
- I Saw You Today, Raven McCall
- 'First Step', michael walkerjohn
- conkers, lee fones
- Big Bang Memory, Kim Barney
- Sum of Life, michael walkerjohn
- Two Snipers, michael walkerjohn
- It was a routine traffic stop, Cyndi K. Gacosta
- Angel Wing, Anthony Di'anno
- Rant of a Sorcerer, Russell Nero
- Inspiration to Live, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)