Lawrence S. Pertillar
Conditioned To Perform
Achieving to reach any notable status,
Doesn't happen with a guarantee.
Or comes painless to receive by one overnight.
Doubts are fought. Tears are cried.
With sacrifices made enduring loss of appetite.
Away from the eyesight of others.
Until daylight uncovers to expose one's deeds.
And then when one accomplishes to succeed,
The one likely surprised by it...
Is the one whose previous efforts had been dismissed.
Even though humbled by the acknowledgement given,
The one reaching to achieve with just the wish to do it...
Is often the one devoted to discipline and focus.
As if conditioned to perform like a programmed robot.
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Conditioned To Perform by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
- SOFT POCKET HERCULES, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- You cannot go, gajanan mishra
- Rebecca, Claudia Scott
- DREAM TIME, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- ABOUT NOTHING, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- Humpty Dumpty, michael hagwood
- ELEGY FOR THE LIVING, NICHOLAS CAMPBELL
- guardian angel, Miss. Tanease Berry
- Queen of Hearts, Tania Montgomery
- hick-eww, Mandolyn ...
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Gray Room, Wallace Stevens
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(18 November 1939)