Lawrence S. Pertillar (February/'47 / Connecticut, USA)
Conditioned To Perform
Achieving to reach any notable status,
Doesn't happen with a guarantee.
Or comes painless to receive by one overnight.
Doubts are fought. Tears are cried.
With sacrifices made enduring loss of appetite.
Away from the eyesight of others.
Until daylight uncovers to expose one's deeds.
And then when one accomplishes to succeed,
The one likely surprised by it...
Is the one whose previous efforts had been dismissed.
Even though humbled by the acknowledgement given,
The one reaching to achieve with just the wish to do it...
Is often the one devoted to discipline and focus.
As if conditioned to perform like a programmed robot.
Poet Other Poems
- ' The Freed of Getting Frisked at Your R...
- $10 a Gallon?
- $5 a Barrel of What?
- (Further Away) From The Year Two Thousan...
- (The) Benefit of Needless Conflict
- (The) Acceptance of a Nothingness
- (The) Bigger Lie
- (The) Depthness of This Kind of Introsp...
- (The) Fate of Fatal Lovers
- (The) Budding Grace of April
- ...and 'now' I lay me down to sleep
- '...I feel like I've been robbed! '
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.