I was once a child,
A phrase all of us may say.
As children we dream,
Dream as high as the sky is blue.
We dreamed plenty,
Every night was magical.
Dark nights of wonder.
Hopes to make these dreams come true.
As time passed,
Our dreams soon faded away.
Those thoughts in our minds
Disappeared as we all grew.
These new nights of sleep
Seem to feel so much more empty.
Blankness clouds our minds.
Where are those dreams that we once knew?
We used to aim so high
Always aiming for the stars.
Now our aim is off
What could be obscuring our view?
Should we make a change?
Awaken the child within?
Let the child run free
So that we can dream anew.
Devon McElveen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Childhood Dreams by Devon McElveen )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- I Will Bathe My Dreams, Kyle Schlicher
- For what is my purpose?, The Princess
- Mother. Mother., beresford mitchell
- In the waiting room, Anna Garland
- THEY CAN NOT KILL THEIR WILL لايقدرون عل.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Haiku And Fruit, Kyle Schlicher
- Short Circuited To Ignite, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- waiting for Autumn, Frederick J.B. Moore II
- In Gratitude, Sandra Feldman
- My life, Abekah Emmanuel