You, my bed,
Four legged minotaur
Soft-bellied gestapo man,
I am your running gypsy
Your Greek take-away.
Do you spy me when
I put a cross through a line
Or eat a cupcake?
With your spectacled deep black
You must smell my fear through your
Pink flabbed ringed nostrils.
My fear, my fear.
You get me.
I fall off the hour hand
As it re-loads at twelve
And you chew me all night.
Your stubby cow teeth are worse
Than lead weights
A sea of heavy water.
You torture worse than history said so.
Did Mr. Perseus have to go
Through the tar-black maze
Whilst you gassed it?
And you couldn't hold back
Flooding me with your hot
Salt sea. I wake in it.
You've branded it on my thick-veined forhead.
I pick the chlorine coloured sleep from my eyes
And roll off your noxious tongue
For another day.
Sandy Player's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Child's Sleep by Sandy Player )
- Epigram—Thanks for a National Victory, Robert Burns
- Dog's Death, John Updike
- Verses on a Parting Kiss, Robert Burns
- Yon Wild Mossy Mountains, Robert Burns
- Epigram on an Innkeeper ("The Marqu.., Robert Burns
- On Chloris being ill, Robert Burns
- Birthday Ode for 31st December, 1787, Robert Burns
- Silhouette, Bradley Flowers
- Lines Written under the Picture of Miss .., Robert Burns
- Venetian Candy, John Updike
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
- A Fairy Song, William Shakespeare
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 March 1926 – 25 July 1966)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1924 - 2000)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)