Frank V. Gardner
Chain of Twenty Five
Another year has passed, my love,
And now it's twenty five:
The total years our marriage has
Been true, and been alive.
We've moved a dozen times in all,
And shared good times with bad.
We've traveled many thousand miles.
Adventures, we have had.
Nine children have been born to us,
And one grandchild, as well.
We're in McLean three years by now.
It seems like quite a spell.
My job has separated us
Each year from time to time.
Let's hope New York will be the last
Occasion for such rhyme.
Last year it was Geneva,
With the work on Law of Sea,
That kept the miles between us
On our anniversary.
This year that same old group is in
New York, and so am I;
But 'ere this day is over,
I'll be with you, at your side.
With this in mind, I went to find,
And found a silver chain,
With twenty-five connecting links;
To us they appertain.
One link, each year that we have lived,
Together, hand in hand.
Those links to mark the lives we've shared,
As, side by side, we stand.
It's silver, and it's twenty five.
It marks our years of love.
So, wear it well. We give our thanks
To Father up above.
Frank V. Gardner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Chain of Twenty Five by Frank V. Gardner )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Roses Are Red Violets Are Blue, Jennifer Alejandra
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Tonight I can write the saddest lines, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Thoughts of her, Nick Kler
- A flaw, gajanan mishra
- Gaining status, Angell Afinowi
- The Freedom I Seek, Douglas ClearyMaxwell
- Stages of life, gajanan mishra
- Remmbering Guernica, John F. McCullagh
- Value, Carolyn Blackmon
- Tagore Song (#9) My freedom exist in da.., Tushar Ray
- What is Courage, Lewis Antonuk
- Full Attention, RoseAnn V. Shawiak