Frank V. Gardner
Body Man, a Special Breed
The body man is in a job
That he's been in for years.
He gets it done, as they all do,
With muscle, sweat.... and beers.
Well, first he checks the damage done,
And tallies up the count;
Then writes it down and shows us how
It dents our bank account.
The craftsman, the mechanic,
And the artist do their thing.
The painter sprays and touches up
The job with coloring.
Each one will set his private pride
On everything he does.
In answer to my question, 'Why? '
He shrugs, ' Well, just because.'
But, what he will return to us,
From several days in shop,
Puts us on the road again,
Feeling back on top.
We thank them for artistic work....
They are a special breed....
For they can do some magic things,
In answer to our need.
Yes, they endure the hassles....
Braving sweat.... and toil.... and heat,
So cars that we might drive again
Will look so ever sweet!
(Written while I observed and appreciated work done at an auto body shop on multiple cars in August 1982 in McLean, Virginia while I waited for work to be completed on my car due to a minor fender bender.)
Frank V. Gardner's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Body Man, a Special Breed by Frank V. Gardner )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- How Do I Love Thee?, Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Poem of the Day
- Ain't Try'n Deny'n, Steve Kittell
- You is Me, Mapung Madura
- Legendary Nostradamus Prophet, lee fones
- Thomas' Impossible Escape, Susan Wetmore
- Business-like, gajanan mishra
- Why Poetry Is Beautiful, Leong Ming Loong
- Blood Bath, Suresh Dogra
- Her Yes, Suresh Dogra
- Schools place of transformation., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I love the poet for ever, gajanan mishra