Peter Daniel Phiri
Burdens Of HIV
She does not have to suffer from stigma and discrimination,
She is just a child born with HIV;
A curse that will not respect her innocence or her purity.
Her mother lies in bed fighting for her life,
Some part of her wants to die and face judgement,
But the other yearns to stage an impossible fight;
To go back five years in time and prevent the pregnancy.
She can only recall her memory of an innocent youth turning so rogue.
With the eagerness to explore her sexuality,
And emotions rushing through her blood;
The pleasure of his hand touching her body,
And his adventures into her fruitful domain.
As her tummy grew,
Her fears grew together with it.
With the father gone,
And disgrace borne.
She did not afford a hospital,
The midwife delivered her And handed her her God given gift,
Which later seemed like a curse once HIV started tormenting her;
And made her life a living hell.
She recieves punishment for the sins of the father.
A sexual partner of many
And a carrier of Aids,
Who like many,
Ignore the fight against HIV/AIDS.
Peter Daniel Phiri's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Burdens Of HIV by Peter Daniel Phiri )
- Always Yours, Michael McParland
- All rich, gajanan mishra
- ما كان ذنبي, قسطاكي الحمصي
- حديث النفس, قسطاكي الحمصي
- A fox in Leeds with unusual needs., Stephen Katona
- Concepts 27, Somanathan Iyer
- More Time, Babatunde Aremu
- The Daughter of the Earth - 30, gajanan mishra
- Last Farewell, Mark Nixon Legaspi
- Travel China Haiku - Chengdu spices, john tiong chunghoo
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Thought, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- On the Ning Nang Nong, Spike Milligan
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)