Be Yourself, or Conform
To be or not to be
That is the Shakespearean question
Still being asked today
Should I conform to the wishes of society?
Or shall I be myself,
And stand up to the world
If I were to be me,
Would you accept me,
Or turn me away?
If I conform,
Will I lose myself,
And become a clone of culture?
If I were to open myself up
Let you go where no one has gone before,
Would you leave?
If I were to be what you wish,
Would you be happy?
Would I die inside?
My greatest fear
Is to die alone
Unwanted and unloved
But I would rather that come true
Than be loved for what I am not
For becoming what you want
The only thing left for me to do
Is to be me,
Open up the box I have hidden away
Now it is time
For a choice to be made
One only you can make
Can you accept me as I am
The real me most don't know,
Or will you reject me?
Decide my dearest,
I will not wait forever
For I have made my choice!
Virginia Cairns's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Be Yourself, or Conform by Virginia Cairns )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- My Heart Was True... Why Not You, LAURA EGGEBRECHT
- Why Wouldn't Amina Jilani Write8, Afzal Ahmed Syed
- Why Wouldn't the Indus Wash Away Our Sor.., Afzal Ahmed Syed
- Aladdin's Lamp, Aftab Alam
- Time Is Against Them, Afzal Ahmed Syed
- For Us, Afzal Ahmed Syed
- The Death of Stella D'Cruz1, Afzal Ahmed Syed
- If My Voice Is Not Reaching You, Afzal Ahmed Syed
- DE-HOLOCAUSTIZE THE SIX MILLION JEWS, alexander opicho
- Pen And Paper, ali chukwuemeka