James Joyce (2 February 1882 – 13 January 1941 / Dublin / Ireland)
Be Not Sad
Be not sad because all men
Prefer a lying clamour before you:
Sweetheart, be at peace again -- -
Can they dishonour you?
They are sadder than all tears;
Their lives ascend as a continual sigh.
Proudly answer to their tears:
As they deny, deny.
Poet Other Poems
- A Flower Given to My Daughter
- A Memory of the Players in a Mirror at M...
- A Prayer
- All Day I Hear the Noise of Waters
- At That Hour
- Be Not Sad
- Because Your Voice Was at My Side
- Bid Adieu to Maidenhood
- Bright Cap and Streamers
- Dear Heart, Why Will You Use Me So?
- Ecce Puer
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.