Bats and Butterflies
Bats and butterflies,
Flew crazyily in my brain,
Then outside in my garden, just the same.
Darting revved up through black rain.
These fliers knew no boundaries,
As they crashed from garden to brain,
Back outside then inside, again and again.
All of them universe bound,
Existed visually but lacking a sound.
I wished for only butterflies to see,
I had no need for bats' company,
But how could I alter nature's ways?
Now I stayed in my mind, all meditation day.
Mental determination appeared in this med,
The stream of concentration, diffused out the bats.
Now butterflies in billions, fluttered around instead!
So I saw what I chose to concentrate on,
My eyes feasted on swirling colors,
Both inside and outside my head,
The thoughts in my meditation said,
You can control your world's perception.
Vera Sidhwa's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bats and Butterflies by Vera Sidhwa )
- The girl of great beauty was not to be f.., Dr.V.K. Kanniappan
- Moon's Rebellion, Kewayne Wadley
- African Funeral, onzia dan
- Scavenger, Morakinyo Temiloluwa Bolarinwa
- Letter To My Rose (Part F), Christian Tobechukwu Okafor
- you and that love thing..., Mandolyn ...
- Hint, hasmukh amathalal
- Our Green Hope, Christian Tobechukwu Okafor
- - On the Longfellow bridge, Giorgio A. V.
- the dishwasher sounds like it's off its .., Mandolyn ...
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Heather Burns