Bats and Butterflies
Bats and butterflies,
Flew crazyily in my brain,
Then outside in my garden, just the same.
Darting revved up through black rain.
These fliers knew no boundaries,
As they crashed from garden to brain,
Back outside then inside, again and again.
All of them universe bound,
Existed visually but lacking a sound.
I wished for only butterflies to see,
I had no need for bats' company,
But how could I alter nature's ways?
Now I stayed in my mind, all meditation day.
Mental determination appeared in this med,
The stream of concentration, diffused out the bats.
Now butterflies in billions, fluttered around instead!
So I saw what I chose to concentrate on,
My eyes feasted on swirling colors,
Both inside and outside my head,
The thoughts in my meditation said,
You can control your world's perception.
Vera Sidhwa's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bats and Butterflies by Vera Sidhwa )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
James Whitcomb Riley
(7 October 1849 - 22 July 1916)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- How I Once Spent a Friday Afternoon, M.J. Lemon
- Every dog's ordeal, Lubinda Lubinda
- An Ethereal Bloom, Margaret Alice Second
- surrealist day, lee fones
- Gnarled Syllogism, Paul Hartal
- God Bless You, Michael P. McParland
- Further, Michael P. McParland
- Fulfillment, Michael P. McParland
- Frustration, Michael P. McParland
- Psycho Babble Scribble Squabble And Scra.., Blu 1 Blu 1 (Rio de Janeiro)