Bats and Butterflies
Bats and butterflies,
Flew crazyily in my brain,
Then outside in my garden, just the same.
Darting revved up through black rain.
These fliers knew no boundaries,
As they crashed from garden to brain,
Back outside then inside, again and again.
All of them universe bound,
Existed visually but lacking a sound.
I wished for only butterflies to see,
I had no need for bats' company,
But how could I alter nature's ways?
Now I stayed in my mind, all meditation day.
Mental determination appeared in this med,
The stream of concentration, diffused out the bats.
Now butterflies in billions, fluttered around instead!
So I saw what I chose to concentrate on,
My eyes feasted on swirling colors,
Both inside and outside my head,
The thoughts in my meditation said,
You can control your world's perception.
Vera Sidhwa's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Bats and Butterflies by Vera Sidhwa )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Life Is Fine, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- Be young at heart, Nero CaroZiv
- And indeed death has a domain, Daisy Pereira
- Listening to the radio in the Afternoon, Angell Afinowi
- We Want Democracy, Now., Norman Jin Shyr Wang
- Cantus lacrimosus, Angell Afinowi
- Rest My Dear, Michael P. McParland
- Life's like a compote of the desserts, Mark Heathcote
- I fade away into the light, Anu Shraddha
- Neo-Classic Tasweer/Hindi/Urdu, Aftab Alam
- The awkward Moment, Angell Afinowi