At The Races
Like a piloted star fighter she flew from the east,
A sight to behold like hunger to a festive feast.
As if the word speed was meant only for her legs,
And from her first win, the goose laid her golden eggs.
Greed or dreams to replenish my emptied pockets,
My last bet, my hopes I pinned on two bought tickets.
She raced like the swiftest wind and came in first,
My wallet fainted and my ego was ready to burst.
Odds were ten thousand to one by bookies on her win,
I followed blindly the crowds with cheers and many a grin.
For the first time in a decade predictions and result did line up,
And with luck on my side, I raised my champagne plastic cup.
Lesson not learned and one day I would deeply regret,
On how not to listen to common rumours while placing a bet.
Beginners luck folly would always temp my last earned buck,
One day with disappointment I'll be disproportionately stuck.
Today; however, I celebrate with fanfare my newfound joy,
And I splurge openly unlike a politician's two-faced ploy.
Copyright Leaking Pen 2013
Rev Nov 3 2014
Leaking Pen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (At The Races by Leaking Pen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Percy Bysshe Shelley
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Another Wish, Michael P. McParland
- Cop Killers and Killer Cops, Is It Poetry
- Another Night (Off To Sleep), Michael P. McParland
- Another Day, Michael P. McParland
- Hands on Hips, Mae AC.
- Hands in Pockets, Mae AC.
- Another Christmas, Michael P. McParland
- Anonymous Girl, Michael P. McParland
- An Unbreakable Bond, Michael P. McParland
- An Awesome Friend (For Electric Lady), Michael P. McParland