Gaius Valerius Catullus
Advice: to himself
Sad Catullus, stop playing the fool,
and let what you know leads you to ruin, end.
Once, bright days shone for you,
when you came often drawn to the girl
loved as no other will be loved by you.
Then there were many pleasures with her,
that you wished, and the girl not unwilling,
truly the bright days shone for you.
And now she no longer wants you: and you
weak man, be unwilling to chase what flees,
or live in misery: be strong-minded, stand firm.
Goodbye girl, now Catullus is firm,
he doesn’t search for you, won’t ask unwillingly.
But you’ll grieve, when nobody asks.
Woe to you, wicked girl, what life’s left for you?
Who’ll submit to you now? Who’ll see your beauty?
Who now will you love? Whose will they say you’ll be?
Who will you kiss? Whose lips will you bite?
But you, Catullus, be resolved to be firm.
Gaius Valerius Catullus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Advice: to himself by Gaius Valerius Catullus )
Did you read them?
- Epistle to the Rev. John M'Math, Robert Burns
- Lord Gregory: A Ballad, Robert Burns
- The Winter it is Past, Robert Burns
- NIT jalandhar diyan galan(punjai), jagmeet singh
- Epistle to William Simson, Robert Burns
- Farewell to Eliza, Robert Burns
- The Kirk of Scotland's Alarm: A Ballad, Robert Burns
- Impromptu on Dumourier's Desertion of th.., Robert Burns
- I Love my Love in Secret, Robert Burns
- Impromptu on Mrs. Riddell's Birthday, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Emmonsail's Heath in Winter, John Clare
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Best Friend (In Hindi), Tavneet Singh
- The Frog and The Nightingale, Vikram Seth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(13 February 1879 - 2 March 1949)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)