Gaius Valerius Catullus
Advice: to himself
Sad Catullus, stop playing the fool,
and let what you know leads you to ruin, end.
Once, bright days shone for you,
when you came often drawn to the girl
loved as no other will be loved by you.
Then there were many pleasures with her,
that you wished, and the girl not unwilling,
truly the bright days shone for you.
And now she no longer wants you: and you
weak man, be unwilling to chase what flees,
or live in misery: be strong-minded, stand firm.
Goodbye girl, now Catullus is firm,
he doesn’t search for you, won’t ask unwillingly.
But you’ll grieve, when nobody asks.
Woe to you, wicked girl, what life’s left for you?
Who’ll submit to you now? Who’ll see your beauty?
Who now will you love? Whose will they say you’ll be?
Who will you kiss? Whose lips will you bite?
But you, Catullus, be resolved to be firm.
Gaius Valerius Catullus's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Advice: to himself by Gaius Valerius Catullus )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Paul Laurence Dunbar
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Fighting a hard fight, Peter Strugnell
- Ballade [I die of thirst beside the foun.., François Villon
- To Rosemounde, Geoffrey Chaucer
- Jo aashiqui me sarvsrestha hota hai, Sumit Rawat
- Amor vincit omnia, Suhail Kakorvi
- Stilling to North, Arthur Sze
- Counting the Days, Leonard Champlin
- Blue or Green, James Galvin
- By Sun Arisen, Saiom Shriver
- From Weapon To Lifegiver, Saiom Shriver