A Meeting With Despair
AS evening shaped I found me on a moor
Which sight could scarce sustain:
The black lean land, of featureless contour,
Was like a tract in pain.
"This scene, like my own life," I said, "is one
Where many glooms abide;
Toned by its fortune to a deadly dun--
Lightless on every side.
I glanced aloft and halted, pleasure-caught
To see the contrast there:
The ray-lit clouds gleamed glory; and I thought,
"There's solace everywhere!"
Then bitter self-reproaches as I stood
I dealt me silently
As one perverse--misrepresenting Good
In graceless mutiny.
Against the horizon's dim-descernèd wheel
A form rose, strange of mould:
That he was hideous, hopeless, I could feel
Rather than could behold.
"'Tis a dead spot, where even the light lies spent
To darkness!" croaked the Thing.
"Not if you look aloft!" said I, intent
On my new reasoning.
"Yea--but await awhile!" he cried. "Ho-ho!--
Look now aloft and see!"
I looked. There, too, sat night: Heaven's radiant show
Had gone. Then chuckled he.
Thomas Hardy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Meeting With Despair by Thomas Hardy )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
David Herbert Lawrence
(11 September 1885 – 2 March 1930)
(1904 - 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- In The Depths of Solitude, Tupac Shakur
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fern Hill, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- If you want success, gajanan mishra
- Global Mother Sarada, Tushar Ray
- Plateau Of Relief, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Candles, Leong Ming Loong
- Realtor - Twas the Month Before Christmas, Tim Halladay
- Freedome Of Interior Imagination, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Pain and Love Thoughts, Tiger Auntunette
- THE PROXY, michael walkerjohn
- Soul and air, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Flowers, Clovisvaldo Marques Baleeiro