A different breed of men
Meet me in St. Louie, meet me in St. Paul,
Meet me in Seattle or don't meet me at all.
See me in New York, see me in L. A.,
See me in Salt Lake City, or San Francisco Bay.
Watch for me in Houston, watch for me in Big D,
Or check out Arizona, perhaps that's where I'll be.
The itch to roam is strong, I cannot sit too long,
The winds are calling me, and I must heed its song.
There's men that can't stay still, they must be on the road,
There's men that can't be rooted, they do not fit the mode.
You'll find them way out west, or on the eastern coast,
Wherever you may find them, they cannot be the host.
They can't stand being tied down, to any certain thing,
They can't stand being stagnant, they must be on the wing.
Time for them means nothing, time for them is now,
You see them hiking mountains, not behind a plow.
They've a restless urge to wander, down many paths of life,
They cannot comprehend to loaf, most don't have a wife.
They're the hermits and the misfits, just ordinary men,
But they don't break at all, and neither do they bend.
david lessard's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A different breed of men by david lessard )
- Over the river, Dr PJ Raj Kamal
- Many people, hasmukh amathalal
- Life is funny!, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- America the Beautiful, oskar hansen
- freedom, marriam anderson
- insane, marriam anderson
- A Man Of No Patience, Sir Toby
- Philosophy, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- A Rose Flower, Akhtar Jawad
- For A Friend, Randy McClave
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- bra maidenform, rwetewrt erwtwer
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)