A Bit Of A Laugh
When you’re up every morning
for work at the crack of dawn,
you think at the weekends
you can just lay back and yawn.
A nice lay in, getting up whenever,
not where my three cats
Arthur, Barney, and Charlie
They’ve got into a routine
of when their breakfast comes.
At five o’clock in the mornings at weekends,
they start playing trampolines on my tum.
With cats bouncing on your belly
you don’t lay in for long,
they get you up to feed them
and after they have eaten,
they go back to bed.
However, you are wide-awake by now,
so you end up staying up instead.
So much for that lay in
you thought you were going to get.
In our house that doesn’t happen,
I say with much regret.
One day I might get one,
when I’m old and grey,
with fingers crossed, I say,
but for the moment getting a lay in,
is just a bit of a laugh.
David Harris's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Bit Of A Laugh by David Harris )
Did you read them?
- Of Life Is Change, Is It Poetry
- Chicken Burger, Angela Wybrow
- Take me home, Barbara Dixion
- How...?, Ginny Gibbs
- gustakhi karke ched gyin uski aankhein, Yashvardhan Goel
- mukda, Yashvardhan Goel
- No More Yelling, Michael McParland
- The Wilderness We Abandon, Robert Rorabeck
- Best Lesson, sallam yassin
- Our Heavenly Souls, Robert Rorabeck
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)