A Backwards Look In The Mirror
I've seen those eyes before like pack-ice
Residuary-melting, scraped off the floor
Beats me how an addict, beats the count
And rises; from the canvas once more.
I've seen the glue-sniffers dazed, erect
Wallflowers with those same sad eyes
That says nobody even cares for me.
'Now that loves taking its leave I devise.
To drink, listen to the clink, clink—clink
Of ice till I'm once again, ready to rise'.
Gaze …eons into the future and bethink.
The love of a woman will be my prize.
Mark Heathcote's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Backwards Look In The Mirror by Mark Heathcote )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- bonnie to your clyde, Mandolyn ...
- Purpose Of Life!, Geetha Jayakumar
- Corridors, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- My Forever Crying Angel, Vlad Mutuleanu
- ThankYou!, Geetha Jayakumar
- let the wild rumpus start!, Mandolyn ...
- Day 28 of July 2014, Erica Borges
- Keep on the Sunny Side, Joseph Narusiewicz
- Switches …… [NOT just for electrician.., Bri Edwards
- there's heaven on the plains and freedom.., Mandolyn ...