Lawrence S. Pertillar
As my 62nd birthday approaches...
I will again be celebrating my 31st.
With familiar gratitude.
And with God's hopeful blessing.
'You'll be 62!
Get real! '
I look at it this way...
When I arrived at 60?
I felt as if I had won a championship.
With some wonderful memories.
And being with both my parents...
When their separate deaths approached.
And thinking of them as if they were my children,
I had to protect.
To hear them say I love you...
And other things they to me confessed,
Was a divine time.
Don't get me wrong...
I'm not wishing to stop time,
Or wish to travel back into it!
I cried like a baby when I turned 31.
Call me what you wish.
But I had done my patriotic thing.
And I was in and out of the military,
Ten years 'prior' before I did this.
Married, divorced AND experienced with a profession.
And unafraid to ask or answer any question.
31 felt as if I had lived a lifetime.
Until I became 61 and felt younger.
It was my first time at it.
31 was my turning point.
That's why I celebrate it.
And with God's blessing...
It will be my 31st anniversary of finding myself.
And having the peace of mind at 62...
To say and do as I please.
And with God's approval!
I can say I've earned the right to be 62.
And 'any' and every age below it!
How about you?
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (~62~ by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
- Zero Turkey Wing, Havilah
- Reading and Writing, umaprosad das
- The Afternoon, Leong Ming Loong
- Aligarh Muslim University & Raja Mahendr.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Storm Warning, ESPN CHICK
- A Kiss To Otis Redding, Electric Lady
- So Sensitive In My Heart, Rohit Sapra
- You own every part of me, Afrodita Alkline
- You (One Day I'll Forget You), ESPN CHICK
- Advice can have minus point., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(c. 600 BCE)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)