Lawrence S. Pertillar
As my 62nd birthday approaches...
I will again be celebrating my 31st.
With familiar gratitude.
And with God's hopeful blessing.
'You'll be 62!
Get real! '
I look at it this way...
When I arrived at 60?
I felt as if I had won a championship.
With some wonderful memories.
And being with both my parents...
When their separate deaths approached.
And thinking of them as if they were my children,
I had to protect.
To hear them say I love you...
And other things they to me confessed,
Was a divine time.
Don't get me wrong...
I'm not wishing to stop time,
Or wish to travel back into it!
I cried like a baby when I turned 31.
Call me what you wish.
But I had done my patriotic thing.
And I was in and out of the military,
Ten years 'prior' before I did this.
Married, divorced AND experienced with a profession.
And unafraid to ask or answer any question.
31 felt as if I had lived a lifetime.
Until I became 61 and felt younger.
It was my first time at it.
31 was my turning point.
That's why I celebrate it.
And with God's blessing...
It will be my 31st anniversary of finding myself.
And having the peace of mind at 62...
To say and do as I please.
And with God's approval!
I can say I've earned the right to be 62.
And 'any' and every age below it!
How about you?
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (~62~ by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
- A Touch of Fall, Rhonda Trull
- AMISS, Gina Borrebach
- Geleefd, geliefd, verzonken, Madrason writer
- That coming Fall, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Set of Compromises, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- A Fundamental Fruit Of The Soul, Romella Kitchens
- Facebook (Haiku), Jesus James Llorico
- Lover Mother Lover, stephen ifill
- Event Horizon, Terence Murphy
- Cruel faces, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- How Attractive Are You, Shaun Shane
- Daffodil, Shaun Shane
- 06 Perpetual Optimism, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- 03 a love who's just like me, Shaun Shane
- what i am, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)