Nicanor Parra Poems
- Young Poets Write as you will In whatever style you ...
- The Last Toast Whether we like it or not, We have only three...
- The Trap During that time I kept out of circumstances that ...
- Chronos In Santiago, Chile The days are interminably ...
- I Take Back Everything I’ve Sa... Before I go I’m supposed ...
- Acacias Strolling many years ago Down a street taken over ...
- Warnings In case of fire Do not use elevators Use ...
Nicanor Parra Sandoval is a mathematician and poet born in San Fabián de Alico, Chile, who has been considered to be a popular poet in Chile with enormous influence and popularity in Latin America, and also considered one of the most important poets of the Spanish language literature. He describes himself as an "anti-poet," due to his distaste for standard poetic pomp and function—after recitations he would exclaim Me retracto de todo lo dicho, or, "I take back everything I said".
Parra comes from the artistically prolific Chilean Parra family of performers, musicians, artists, and writers. His sister, Violeta Parra, is possibly the most ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Nicanor Parra
Write as you will
In whatever style you like
Too much blood has run under the bridge
To go on believing
That only one road is right.
In poetry everything is permitted.
With only this condition of course,
You have to improve the blank page.
(trans. by Miller Williams)