Yesterday’s old comfortable coat
When the mind looses its grip on tomorrow
and goes back in the meadows of yesterday,
far wide and open as the small Karoo
and when today is only a moment
that you want to forget
when loneliness comes and lies in me
like the cold frost,
then it’s easier
to slide back into yesterday.
like a old duffel coat
from my childhood days
and it fits so cosy and perfectly
and the smells of it is so well known
and it’s so comfortable in every seam
without having to make any adjustments
it’s a perfect fit.
is burned into
the hard drive of the mind
and no effort is necessary
to relive them again,
to dig them up, to dust them off
and to dream
about those lived moments again.
Like previously taped DVD’s
every movement is so well-known,
worked out and already lived
and like a old comfortable coat
with cosy warm embracing
I go back into the past without any expectations
and the ghosts from yesterday,
I know from face to face
and they are engraved,
programmed to wipe out
all of my expectations of my tomorrows
and the shadow of yesterday
slide right into me.
like a old well-known friend
and now I am no friend of tomorrow
while yesterday remains clinging to me.
Daleen Enslinstrydom's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Yesterday’s old comfortable coat by Daleen Enslinstrydom )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Algernon Charles Swinburne
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Sir Walter Scott
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Tales Of A Wife: Honeymoon, Onyekachukwu Vincent Onyeche
- Guard well, gajanan mishra
- The Photographer, Ravikumar C.P.
- Tuavatara!, Ravikumar C.P.
- Mystery Caller, Ravikumar C.P.
- Do, my dear, gajanan mishra
- Cinders of Life, Tim Labbe
- Aiy Mere Khuda Aiy Mere Khuda, Akhtar Jawad
- State of being, Ravikumar C.P.
- Flight, S.Michael Kozubek