When that final day arrives,
That one we all dwell on,
Passing through those pearly gates,
What’s past, now long foregone.
Reflecting on what might have been,
Actions that made a difference,
Knowing now, one’s true purpose,
Was grounded in benevolence.
Choices sometimes, not so wise,
We learn late from our mistake,
Left far behind, now forgiven,
In this place, there’s no forsake.
There are others clean and free,
Played well within the game,
Understood the proper rules,
Revered long, by family name.
Time stands still, past the final hour,
Standing tall on Judgment Day,
Hearing how we lived our life,
Every moment, along the way.
What if, we each are judged?
By everyone, we’ve ever met,
Recorded in the sands of time,
Nothing here, to ever forget.
Wonder if we knew this as true,
How differently we might live,
Choosing how, not to take,
In turn, might learn to give.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (What If? by G.R. Gaus )
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Play The Game, Jessie Pope
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- As aged I, Emmanuel George Cefai
- true friend, Rani Jain
- In laziness begot, Emmanuel George Cefai
- When Times Will Ring with Bells, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Hurling themselves over the rocks, Emmanuel George Cefai
- When will the time come?, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Gandhi Versus Godse, Jasbir Chatterjee
- Muslims…Indeed Christians….Specifically .., James B. Earley
- Friends, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Love's Curse Befell None, Jayatissa Liyanage