When that final day arrives,
That one we all dwell on,
Passing through those pearly gates,
What’s past, now long foregone.
Reflecting on what might have been,
Actions that made a difference,
Knowing now, one’s true purpose,
Was grounded in benevolence.
Choices sometimes, not so wise,
We learn late from our mistake,
Left far behind, now forgiven,
In this place, there’s no forsake.
There are others clean and free,
Played well within the game,
Understood the proper rules,
Revered long, by family name.
Time stands still, past the final hour,
Standing tall on Judgment Day,
Hearing how we lived our life,
Every moment, along the way.
What if, we each are judged?
By everyone, we’ve ever met,
Recorded in the sands of time,
Nothing here, to ever forget.
Wonder if we knew this as true,
How differently we might live,
Choosing how, not to take,
In turn, might learn to give.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (What If? by G.R. Gaus )
- Filtrate, Akhtar Jawad
- I am gajananmishra, gajanan mishra
- Winter, Neela Nath
- How wonder, gajanan mishra
- Fortunate enough, hasmukh amathalal
- To Bob Whelan on Discussing Pablo Neruda, Bill Grace
- Intense drive, hasmukh amathalal
- My totality, gajanan mishra
- The Other Side Of The Story, mary douglas
- Journey end, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Cause And Effect, Charles Bukowski
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)