Wait, for now.
Distrust everything, if you have to.
But trust the hours. Haven't they
carried you everywhere, up to now?
Personal events will become interesting again.
Hair will become interesting.
Pain will become interesting.
Buds that open out of season will become lovely again.
Second-hand gloves will become lovely again,
their memories are what give them
the need for other hands. And the desolation
of lovers is the same: that enormous emptiness
carved out of such tiny beings as we are
asks to be filled; the need
for the new love is faithfulness to the old.
Don't go too early.
You're tired. But everyone's tired.
But no one is tired enough.
Only wait a while and listen.
Music of hair,
Music of pain,
music of looms weaving all our loves again.
Be there to hear it, it will be the only time,
most of all to hear,
the flute of your whole existence,
rehearsed by the sorrows, play itself into total exhaustion.
Galway Kinnell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Wait by Galway Kinnell )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- Address To A Haggis, Robert Burns
- A Man's a Man for A' That, Robert Burns
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Bottle And Friend, Robert Burns
- Who Ever Loved That Loved Not at First S.., Christopher Marlowe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Fond Kiss, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Momentary Separation, Md. Ziaul Haque
- A Divine Bond, Md. Ziaul Haque
- SERENDIPITY, Aminath Neena
- To Be Intelligent, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Youth, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Prosetic [Prosaic + Poetic], Md. Ziaul Haque
- My Love for You is Reborn, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Kindness, Reagan A. Latumbo
- Walt Whitman: A Curious Poet, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Colouring Under The Light, Mitta Xinindlu